Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October Frugals - better late than never!

October Frugals - better late than never!

It's hard to believe we've made it this far into the month without a frugals thread! How embarrassing!
    I believe I had mentioned that we were pursuing a zero-interest loan for replacing our furnace. There have been some hoops to jump through, but nothing crazy and we received the check yesterday. We will save over $1000 in interest by keeping our money in the bank, and since interest rates seem to be on the rise, that is a conservative estimate. I'm now working on the paperwork for a rebate from the program, which I believe will be $1900.
    I've been doing the usual stuff of borrowing books and movies from the library. We've been able to make walking part of our regular daily routine since my retirement, so I'm pleased with that, and it's the ultimate in healthy & free entertainment.
    Eating out has been a budget killer for me since retiring. My mom and sister always want to go out, and they will treat, but of course I want to treat sometimes too, since I am not a parasite. I am hoping we can do more eating in and food at home now that the weather is cooler. That will be our big challenge starting in November!

Yppej
    RR is that a program through your utility company? Is it for any type of furnace, or only oil to gas conversion?

I saved almost $75 on my auto insurance by making a $25 donation to their marketing partner pan-Mass Challenge. If anyone lives in Massachusetts and has Mapfre insurance check out this offer. It is 5% off so based on what you are paying you may save more or less.

We did have how to save $10 so that was a frugal thread of sorts.

Yppej: The program is through National Grid, and we replaced our oil furnace with a new oil furnace. It's an "early replacement program" and our oil/steam boiler had to be at least 30 years old, so that is a little bit weird, but our boiler was 30 years old. You can get the details on the Mass Save website. There are different offers available for different scenarios. Good point that the $10 thread was a frugals thread of sorts.
    https://www.masssave.com/

Yppej
    Thank you. My furnace is maybe 25 years old. I definitely want to stay with oil, and Columbia Gas just reinforced that even though they are not my provider.

We've had a few frugals this month:
    - I borrowed DVDs from the library instead of hitting up Redbox. Yeah, that saves a whopping $1.63 (or so) for two videos, but it did get me to figure out the on-line reservation process -- which I will use again -- so that was worthwhile.
    - bought replacement CO detectors from a guy who remodels apartments; they were about half the lowest price I've ever seen, still in original packaging, and only a year old. We have some which are due for replacement so we got a deal and he gets rid of excess inventory.
    - been trying to shop more at ALDI for the stuff we don't want to buy at the co-op. Unfortunately, shopping at ALDI can resemble the "Target run" in that you somehow always come home with items which weren't on the list. I'm trying to curb that by going only once a month when "it's time" or during the weeks their flyer shows a lot of items we want. ALDI also is a great place to get the food we bring to the treat tables when we go dancing so I stock up; it sits in a corner of a cabinet or the fridge till we need it.
    - been cleaning out the garage at my mom's place. Some of it had to go during city-wide cleanup (which was free for me because I worked there as a volunteer). Most of the rest has been removed by people who came to get it for free. Some of the items would be worth $5-10-20 apiece so marking it "free" forgoes a little money. But "free" gets people to move faster and it means they pick up the goods so I don't waste so much time advertising or delivering, I don't waste fuel driving around the metro, and I don't have to pay our trash haulers extra to take the bigger items. It may not be a financial wash but it is simpler and not as big a potential loss as it seems. Sometimes simpler comes at a price.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've been scouting around for a 2' x 2' kitchen base cabinet or free-standing cart for a spot next to the stove. I saw one last week in a Habitat for Humanity thrift/recycling/repurposing store here in Burlington, and I found one that's the perfect size. Doesn't have a counter on it, but we can do that easily. $9.99.

I think I'm going to go tomorrow and hope it's still there! Too good a deal to pass up!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We had dinner two nights from Panera--both nights split a large order of soup, with a gift card sil gave us last Christmas.
    Are using another gift card today to go to the movies.

Bought a 44 dollar printer to replace our dying HP. Went real cheap, and so far, I have been using it for my photo project, of copying hundred year old family photos for my cousin. It does a pretty decent job!

Took our dog to the mobile vet and saved at least 125 dollars off the price of shots and yearly exam from our regular overpriced vet. She likes the mobile vet better anyway.

Stayed at my sister in laws house these last 4 nights instead of getting a hotel room. I usually prefer the quiet and privacy of 12 hours out of each day away from all the people when it’s family reunion time. But it turned out to be fun, and saved us about $500.

Continue with library books instead of purchases. Made another 11 quarts of salsa from the garden gleaning...only had to buy cilantro.

We're on vacation now....headed to the OR coast. Staying with my sister 1st/last night so just 3 nights rental house on the beach. Plus because our rental car does not include a weekend night? Holy moly we have a high end luxury car for $125 for 4 days. Just $20 more than a compact! Score us!

We have to go to Davis for doggie surgery next week. Rented a bedroom and bathroom in a beautiful house for much less than a motel room.

Thread Information