Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October Frugals - better late than never!

I picked up a couple of current magazines from the free rack at the library today, and will pass along to my MIL when I'm done with them.

Got a tip from another frugality board that frozen cranberries are going cheap-cheap-cheap in grocery stores right now. Picked up a bag and a half a dozen apples, and made a container of delicious apple-cranberry butter in my slow cooker for very little money. Yum!

I try to stock up on cranberries this time of year, but I have a cheap refrigerator, and my teeny tiny freezer is full. (Of beef franks and bacon, which I'm apparently afraid I'll run short of...)

Yppej
    Last month I went over budget due to quarterly real estate taxes but so far this month I am on track despite stocking up on sale items at the grocery store. Next month I will miss since I pay my auto insurance for the entire year to get a discount.

Ooh! I am SO happy! When DH and I left Nevada in 2010, we gave away our beloved fish and their aquarium home to a friend. For eight years now, I've been wanting to have fish again, but DH kept saying "No, let's wait till we move," or "No, there's no money right now," etc. Nevertheless, I persisted! I kept looking online--Craigslist, classifieds, Facebook Marketplace--to see if someone, anyone, was willing to give theirs away. Finally, a lady who was moving out of town offered her entire 20 gallon tank and ALL the accessories...for free!

I got in touch with her right away, but darn! I was too late--she said that a teacher who wanted it for her classroom had already asked for it. I replied, "Shucks! Well, if she flakes out for some reason, please let me know."

We picked it up last night! It's a little dusty, as it had been in her attic for many years, but it's in great shape. I will post before and after pictures when we find a stand and have some brand new, low-maintenance, freshwater fishies!

Great news about the fish tank. I love to give stuff away that I no longer use.

Yppej
    For years I have wanted to try yoga. I found a mat for $10 at Marshall's and a place that has first lesson free and a walk-in system with no contracts or prepayments.

DH and I were talking about how many we know were enthralled with their Instapots. We discussed how we might eliminate 4 or so appliances if we got one ourselves, but balked at the price. THE. NEXT. DAY. our Fred Meyer/Kroger ad came out with a sale on them, plus a coupon and $15 associated meat coupon when you purchase one. So we got one--and all told it cost us about $45.

Now a trip to the thrift with my rice cooker, 2 crockpots, yogurt machine, and pressure cooker.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Yppej
    I tried yoga with a free class and will not be tempted to spend money on it. Maybe someday tai chi though.

I didn’t like yoga at all. We did tai chi and liked it. We intended to go twice a week. By evening my back was out bad and both DH’s knees were killing him. It took me a month of going regularly to the chiropractor to straighten it out. I can’t figure out what the problem was since it moved slow unless it was the twisting.

Thread Information