Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Identity politics destroying friendships?

I don't get how having personal and political response to Kavanaugh is identity politics. Many peopleare finally able to talkto about things that happened to them and oppose openly this appointment. I like the comment about evangelical Christians,

Part of sexism fading is the ability to use our experiences to have an impact,

I think losing friends over politics is ridiculous. As I have said before I lost my friendship with my half sister over it although I told her we can agree to disagree but she couldn’t. I am married to a Republican. Her life sounds good.

one doesn't have much privilege in a meaningful sense at all unless they are able to turn it into at least decent economic advantage (at least stable middle class - at the very least), period. There are no privileged poor people, or it becomes, what it actually is, although that's seldom understood, specialized language that don't really map that well to life. But the converse is not true. One can be well off economically and experience racism etc..

I used to think identity politics was a smear against those who cared about racial issues, but I've seen the word used pretty narrowly, against those who claim to be on the left who use identity issues to deliberately not focus on economic ones. I think THAT is a fair critique. So focusing on Hillary Clinton's sex when she ran a bad campaign, that would be identity politics.

Politics can reflect plenty deep moral values, like say one's deepest moral values is respect for the environment and a living earth, then that's going to manifest politically.

But I don't really know what the issue is actually is in this case. She may have her reasons for saying she experienced sexism, we don't know what they are. Maybe they aren't even her experiences but what she has seen a good female friend(s)/her mom/whatever go through. She might not want to tell. I'm not really sure how the Kavanaugh conversation is destroying anything, the guy shouldn't go to jail without adequate proof, but he was not *owed* the supreme court. But being the politics were what they were (R's had the vote) he got it. It really is as simple as that - just real politic. I doubt you are going to like his decisions either.

Why wouldn't someone in this position leave that guy and move on?
    in a case like that it would probably be psychological. But the problem with explaining it to you is you believe all psychological problems should be easily overcome. Which I admit is a more pragmatically useful defense mechanism (uh it is a defense mechanism) than choosing to hopelessly wallow in them. But really isn't how it works for everyone, really truly. But this was a theoretical person, and what's really up with your friend, I don't know.
    Trees don't grow on money

I think there is such a thing as identity politics, and it is not limited to the left. Certainly there would seem to be a strong element of it in Trump’s gaudy appeal. The evidence for it seems to be everywhere, from college course catalogues to Twitter mobs to strutting Proud Boys to the shrieking maenads in Senate hearings.

I don’t think it serves the interests of either right or left very well. It tends to infantilize debates of complex issues and reduce policy differences to playground taunting.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

Your friend has every right to feel enraged/frustrated by Kavanaugh's appointment. Many of us do.
    I am one of the folks who feels enraged and frustrated about the Kavanaugh appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Continue to be her friend. Even though I think you are jealous as all get out of her lifestyle.
    I am not jay over her life-stilo, yo!

Here is why: She has to mow the lawn. She has three floors of space to keep clean. She is anti-dog. She works for an evil corporation.

That just names a few.

I would love that $90k though!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I don't get how having personal and political response to Kavanaugh is identity politics.
    It depends why you have that personal or political response. Do you simply disagree with his judicial record? Or do you support Dr. Ford? Or do you hate Ivy League douche bags? See the differences?

Many people are finally able to talk to about things that happened to them and oppose openly this appointment.
    Here is the difference: You say: "Many people are finally able to talk to about things that happened to them..."

And that is a response very deeply rooted in identity politics. "what happened to them" is a foregone conclusion to you. Why? Because of Dr. Ford's immutable identity characteristics, ones you either share or are sympathetic to.

I would say: "Many more people finally feel like they are able to talk about things that they say have happened to them..."

I say this because Dr. Ford made an accusation that has never been proven. And Kavanaugh's denial may or may not be true. I don't know. I am doubtful.

Do you see the subtle difference?

Part of sexism fading is the ability to use our experiences to have an impact,
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think there is such a thing as identity politics, and it is not limited to the left. Certainly there would seem to be a strong element of it in Trump’s gaudy appeal. The evidence for it seems to be everywhere, from college course catalogues to Twitter mobs to strutting Proud Boys to the shrieking maenads in Senate hearings.

I don’t think it serves the interests of either right or left very well. It tends to infantilize debates of complex issues and reduce policy differences to playground taunting.
    This is probably the most I have ever agreed with you. And I wish I had said this!

After my third offer to agree to disagree she said this:

"I'd like to stop talking about this. You just really don't get it. And it's upsetting. I'm done crying for the day. Thanks."

I am not jay over her life-stilo, yo!
    could have fooled me! you seemed obviously jealous. but what difference does it make, even so, we don't get to live other people's lives, even if they actually are better than ours.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information