Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen gadgets

Someday I'd like a kitchen large enough to have a cabinet of gadgets.
    Due to small space I have not much more than a few knives, an electric knife that needs sharpened, a hand held manual can opener, a blender, a hand mixer, hand held cheese shredder.
    Not even room for a salad spinner. My lettuce has to be laid out on a new hand towel covered with paper towel.
    If I eat a french fry, it's usually with BBQ sauce or I'll melt a bit of cheese, add some chili and jalapenos.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I do have a manual can opener that works by separating the lid from the can--no sharp edges, and a small rotary cheese/garlic grater that--though hard to clean--beats the knuckle busting kind.

I use what I have regularly and I wouldn't be without:
    cuisenart (a wedding gift 38y ago),
    kitchenaid mixer,
    salad spinner,
    air fryer (the few calories are awesome over deep fried everything),
    breadmaker-love my self-developed 10grain recipe and my french bread,
    toaster,
    my various utensils,
    1 good chef knife and 3 paring knives-I use these often and daily, and a good bread knife
    a container of cooking utensils that sits by the stove,
    garlic press-I can't mince that fine it seems,
    coffeemaker

I never fell for things such as immersion blender and the many other "convenient" must-have appliances. I do have a nice pantry so only my cuisenart and utensils and coffeemaker are out on the counter. I love a clear counter when cooking!

An immersion blender is invaluable for making mayonnaise and blending soups. Fortunately, it doesn't take up much space.
    My kitchen is a tiny, sad joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I never fell for things such as immersion blender and the many other "convenient" must-have appliances. I do have a nice pantry so only my cuisenart and utensils and coffeemaker are out on the counter. I love a clear counter when cooking!
    I consider the immersion blender to be a minimalist must-have. It's smaller and easier to clean than a blender. I have a KitchenAid, but it sits like a ton weight behind my home office door. We rarely use it. I would also would never have an interest in a fryer. I never had a Cuisinart, either, nor any desire for one.

I guess what you needs depend heavily on what and how you cook/bake.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I bought a food processor when my shoulder started to hurt from too much chopping. I have a hand held mixer and a crockpot. Also a coffee pot and toaster. I recently sold my bread Machine. I am still using my revere ware that I bought 34 years ago.

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cuisinart food processor. I use it several times a week.

Surprisingly, I use my Cuisinart ice cream maker more frequently in the last few years than before.

Ice cream (even "premium") seems to have more and more gum-this gum-that. Even the expensive ice cream doesn't freeze to hard any longer. Yikes!

In warm weather, I make simple ice creams as well as lovely fruit sorbets with liqueurs. Yummy and not scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I use what I have regularly and I wouldn't be without:
    cuisenart (a wedding gift 38y ago),
    kitchenaid mixer,
    salad spinner,
    air fryer (the few calories are awesome over deep fried everything),
    breadmaker-love my self-developed 10grain recipe and my french bread,
    toaster,
    my various utensils,
    1 good chef knife and 3 paring knives-I use these often and daily, and a good bread knife
    a container of cooking utensils that sits by the stove,
    garlic press-I can't mince that fine it seems,
    coffeemaker

What kind of salad spinner do you use?

I don't know how many food processors I've had. So far, I like the mini-size for pestos, etc. The others either have been donated, or sit unused.

Thread Information