Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I consider the immersion blender to be a minimalist must-have. It's smaller and easier to clean than a blender. I have a KitchenAid, but it sits like a ton weight behind my home office door. We rarely use it. I would also would never have an interest in a fryer. I never had a Cuisinart, either, nor any desire for one.

I guess what you needs depend heavily on what and how you cook/bake.
    Love my immersion blender as well. I use it for soups and lately for mashing up soy beans for patties and chickpeas for hummus.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thinking of buying a air fryer as have heard such good things about them. But don’t want it to be another thing I get rid of in a year.

Ice cream (even "premium") seems to have more and more gum-this gum-that. Even the expensive ice cream doesn't freeze to hard any longer. Yikes
    Haagen Daz, is one of the few that doesn't. Ok, I eat ice cream maybe twice a year, but it's a good brand. Not organic though - oh well. I've had homemade ice cream though, and nothing beats it for taste.

I use my immersion blender much more than my real blender, as it's much easier to clean. A fryer, why would I need that? I know how to make oven fries or something if I wanted to though. I did recently have zucchini noodles that make a spiralizer somewhat attractive (I don't entirely shun real pasta though it's not something I eat that often). Enough to get one? Well *probably* not - they probably have this stuff premade that I could try at Trader Joe's or something first.
    Trees don't grow on money

People on another forum were making all sorts of meals in their air fryer.

If I had something resembling a real kitchen, I would consider the Breville Smart Oven Air, which is a multi-use countertop unit with an air-fry option. Cuisinart offers one too; they're similarly rated. I like properly fried food, but oil storage/disposal is a pain. I briefly had a GoWise air fryer and returned it.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If I had something resembling a real kitchen, I would consider the Breville Smart Oven Air, which is a multi-use countertop unit with an air-fry option.
    I snapped and got that one about a month or so ago. I haven't used my regular Viking wall oven since. It has accomplished everything I asked of it, with the exception of broiling thick steaks (it broiled them fine, but the countertop isn't a place to broil such things, if you don't want to scrub the cupboards above....).

The main advantage it offers to me is that it preheats almost instantly, and seems to hold a constant good temperature, so it makes quickly using it an easy enterprise - the wall oven takes a looooong time to preheat.

A secondary advantage is the large clear glass door, combined with the location in the kitchen, means I can put an ingredient in it to bake/cook off, and monitor it trivially while doing other things. In combination with the easy-to-use timers on it, I can, for instance, chuck a squash in it to bake, and just forget about it, and it won't overcook or turn into a blackened crisp.

I am currently using the Viking to store cookware....
    Last edited by bae; 10-28-18 at 2:06pm.

[QUOTE=bae;312891]
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    If I had something resembling a real kitchen, I would consider the Breville Smart Oven Air, which is a multi-use countertop unit with an air-fry option. /QUOTE]

I snapped and got that one about a month or so ago. I haven't used my regular Viking wall oven since. It has accomplished everything I asked of it, with the exception of broiling thick steaks (it broiled them fine, but the countertop isn't a place to broil such things, if you don't want to scrub the cupboards above....).

The main advantage it offers to me is that it preheats almost instantly, and seems to hold a constant good temperature, so it makes quickly using it an easy enterprise - the wall oven takes a looooong time to preheat.

A secondary advantage is the large clear glass door, combined with the location in the kitchen, means I can put an ingredient in it to bake/cook off, and monitor it trivially while doing other things. In combination with the easy-to-use timers on it, I can, for instance, chuck a squash in it to bake, and just forget about it, and it won't overcook or turn into a blackened crisp.

I am currently using the Viking to store cookware....
    I have it on my New House list. I figure the Breville and the Instant Pot would cover most of the things I cook.

Anyone uses bbq grill mat for bbq? I wonder if it is essential and how the taste of the meat and veggeis will be changed.

As for me, I can't imagine my morning without a hot cup of coffee. I always used an ordinary pot for that, but recently, I decided to purchaise a coffee machine. They are not cheap, butI've found a source with a list of machines under $500. Anyway, I'm so happy with my new Nespresso EN560B. If you are a coffee lover, you should try it for sure. It saves time, because makes your coffe without any help of yours and does it fast. As you could understand, I'm in love with my coffee machine and now I don't understand how could I live without this devise on my kitchen.

We got a simple Bunn home coffee machine and it works fast and brews a nice hot strong coffee. Just what I wanted. Right around $100 and we have used it 365 days a year for 5+ years. No sign of it stopping.

We have been thru the Keurig, the bread maker, the ice cream maker, the fancy countertop oven, the immersion blender, etc. Most we got at garage sales for pennies and all we donated to our local thrift. Have not learned out lesson so hubby now has the Instapot to work on. Told him, he bought it, he uses it.

Good simple non electric kitchen gadgets are what I like. Good knives, good bowls, and a good stove are a great start. But they mostly wont impress anyone.

Thread Information