Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen gadgets

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I am thinking of getting one.

Anyone else have one they might suggest?
    If I was concerned about keeping count of the number of things I owned I would not get a salad spinner. Ours is ok. Not great, but ok. And better than our mandolin.

But I use the fry daddy more often than either of them. Please don't judge me just because I enjoy making spring rolls, french fries and home-made tortilla chips more than salad...

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If I was concerned about keeping count of the number of things I owned I would not get a salad spinner. Ours is ok. Not great, but ok. And better than our mandolin.

But I use the fry daddy more often than either of them. Please don't judge me just because I enjoy making spring rolls, french fries and home-made tortilla chips more than salad...

What condiments do you use with your fries?

What condiments do you use with your fries?
    Mayonnaise.

But more importantly, if you're going to start making home-made fries do it right. Chill them in icy water first and dip them in a bit of corn starch just before frying. That way they come out restaurant crispy instead of soggy and greasy. The perfect fry outshines any condiment you put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Mayonnaise.

But more importantly, if you're going to start making home-made fries do it right. Chill them in icy water first and dip them in a bit of corn starch just before frying. That way they come out restaurant crispy instead of soggy and greasy. The perfect fry outshines any condiment you put on it.
    Are you trolling me about the mayo? I use mustard often, or sometimes ketchup. Though I will combine the two. I accidentally used bbq sauce on fries once. It was actually good!

But mayo? That is a new one.

this salad spinner if you want to splurge:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1071497-S.../dp/B000ND5C9I

that's an awesome salad spinner

Or they make cheaper ones non stainless steel which might do.

I eat salad everyday for lunch, but I did have to surrender and buy precut prewashed greens sometimes etc., it just got too hard for me to make salads every night before hand from whole heads of lettuce all the time. But that's an awesome salad spinner for that.
    Trees don't grow on money

Are you trolling me about the mayo? I use mustard often, or sometimes ketchup. Though I will combine the two. I accidentally used bbq sauce on fries once. It was actually good!

But mayo? That is a new one.
    You've obviously never seen Pulp Fiction...

I cannot believe that my salad spinner was not the first thing to come to mind!

My purchased-new-for-$37 Kitchenaid stand mixer. It is one of the few appliances that sit out on the counter. I use it at least three times a week.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I like chicken gravy with my fries; a habit that started years ago when I used to frequent a fried chicken drive-in that served that heavenly dish. Fried food is perfectly healthy if you use the right oil and temperature, IMO. I especially like Szechuan twice-fried green beans, which got me a credit in a cookbook once.

My salad spinner is gathering dust, my Vitamix goes mostly unused, but my Instant Pot sits on the counter (precious real estate), where it's deployed nearly every day. I've had practically every kitchen gadget known to humankind; most of them come and go.

I have gotten by with very few things this summer. I missed my potato masher, but was able to pick one up at a yard sale for 50 cents.

I like this article by Mark Bittman: it outlines what you need for the minimalist kitchen, spending less than $300.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/09/d...erland&emc=rss

The biggest surprise to me was that he includes a food processor as a "must have." I have never owned a food processor. I chop and dice with my French knife, and blend/puree with my immersion blender. So he prompted me to look into food processors and I must say, I was attracted to this one:

I asked DH what he thought and he pooh-poohed getting a food processor.

Everything else on Bittman's list makes sense, I think. I use pots and pans handed down from my great-aunt and MIL. Simple but sturdy (cast iron skillets, old Revereware).

I don't have a salad spinner. My SIL gave me a spiralizer that's still in the box. But I do miss my crockpot.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information