Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy something online that is often counterfeited?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Would you buy something online that is often counterfeited?

Let me give examples here - say a high end handbag or a watch that is often counterfeited. A watch at a lower price point than the often counterfeited Rolex would be say Mont Blanc. A handbag perhaps a fake Coach - I really don't know the names of many women's handbag brands. These are just examples anyway. My point is - would you feel comfortable taking this risk - if you even see it as a risk - of buying something online that is known to be often counterfeited? Rob

If I trusted the vendor, yes. If I didn't trust the vendor, I shouldn't buy anything from them.

However, it doesn't hurt to learn the telltale signs of either the genuine article or typical fake items (subtle things like the typeface used on labels, the color and style of the box, etc.).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Let me give examples here - say a high end handbag or a watch that is often counterfeited. A watch at a lower price point than the often counterfeited Rolex would be say Mont Blanc. A handbag perhaps a fake Coach - I really don't know the names of many women's handbag brands. These are just examples anyway. My point is - would you feel comfortable taking this risk - if you even see it as a risk - of buying something online that is known to be often counterfeited? Rob
    It is hard for me to imagine a scenario where I would buy this junk because it is junk, not because it is a risk or not because it is wrong.

I don't buy really expensive items, so it wouldn't come up. If I suspected something were counterfeit, I wouldn't buy it. There are websites showing you what to look for.

I've bought used Dooney and Bourke and Roche bags (mid-range prices) with no qualms.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is hard for me to imagine a scenario where I would buy this junk because it is junk, not because it is a risk or not because it is wrong.
    IL, why don't I try downsizing the brands a bit? Would you buy a Seiko watch online, for example? I understand that now even Seiko watches - a watch that can bought for $99 plus tax on Black Friday at Macy's - is getting counterfeited. Seriously. Rob

Depends on if I trust the vendor.

Rob, It is hard for me to relate to this because brands mean little to nothing to me.

Presumably, if I ever bought a Coach handbag, I would do so admiring the soft leather and the even stitching and the heavy hardware, and I would know that the knockoffs do not have those qualities.

Edited to add: oh I see, you want to assess people’s perception of risk in getting the real thing when we cannot feel or touch it.

My answer sorta stands, somehwhat. If the vender represents the item as “used” and the vendor has a clear return policy and a good rating, I might buy the thing assuming it is The Real Thing. And if it is not Real and I determine that after I get it, I then return it.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-22-18 at 7:52pm.

I'm with IL. I have little interest in buying high-end brands. Although I have to say, Macy's had a great sale on Coach stuff and I did buy a wallet at like 60% off. I can't imagine being interested in buying a knock-off. I wouldn't be confident of the quality of the item, and I'd feel like a poseur/fake.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I get my real Coach purses at thrift stores. Now that I have a nice collection, I don't go out and look for more. As with IL, brands are meaningless unless I specifically need an item. No way would I wear (show off) an expensive watch, purse or piece of jewelry.

I am skeptical of prices that are too low and even when very low cost items, I check carefully to try and see if it is a knock off from China. Even my little quilt clips from a Japanese company are sold as knock offs on Amazon.

I think that some people need the brand to assure them the product is high quality.

Since I do not normally buy high quality consumer goods or those generally considered high end,I am not in that world. But when I think of the few things that are “high end” that I might acquire, I think my own knowledge of the product is of utmost importance, not the brand name slapped on the item.

For instance, I like having bulldogs who look like the AKC standard. My own pets are not always champion stock,but I do like good bulldog conformation. In the dog world I run into people who are concerned with “the papers” and/or “the pedigree” when they are getting only a pet dog. I guess that is because they dont use their own eyes to asses a dog? i dunno. I assess dogs with my own eyes, their “papers” are meaningless.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-22-18 at 8:39pm.

Thread Information