Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would you buy something online that is often counterfeited?

As you point out, a knockoff (think manufacturers' reps dashing away from runway shows with sketches) is not the same as a counterfeit.

I'm not wedded to many name brands, but some are known for style, and some are reliably well-made, so I do end up buying some repeatedly. Often on sale, used, or thrifted.

Adorable doggo, IrisLily!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've bought used Dooney and Bourke and Roche bags (mid-range prices) with no qualms.
    My only bag is a vintage Dooney and Bourke leather lunchbag style. Basically looks like a short leather paper lunch bag with leather handles. I got it for $3 at a thrift shop 15 years ago. Have had a leather friend restitch one corner. I've never researched it though it has label and number. If it's counterfeit I don't care. I like the shape.
    Last edited by Float On; 10-23-18 at 10:45am.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

As you point out, a knockoff (think manufacturers' reps dashing away from runway shows with sketches) is not the same as a counterfeit.
    Correct, it hasn't been too terribly long ago since virtually every personal computer was an IBM knockoff. 90% of the PC industry in the 80's were known as IBM clones.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I bought a used D&B bag on eBay in Stewart plaid wool that I'm particularly pleased with. EBay is pretty careful about shutting down sellers with counterfeits, and I doubt any counterfeiter would bother with a bag that retails for under $200, anyway.

I bought a used D&B bag on eBay in Stewart plaid wool.
    Stewart is my DH's tartan! Is yours Royal (red background), Dress (white background), or Hunting (green background)? When I met DH he was wearing a Royal Stewart tartan jacket. I think that's why I noticed him.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Stewart is my DH's tartan! Is yours Royal (red background), Dress (white background), or Hunting (green background)? When I met DH he was wearing a Royal Stewart tartan jacket. I think that's why I noticed him.
    Royal. It's my family's tartan, too--as far as I can tell. The Scots part of the family.

I like that "meets cute" jacket story.

I bought a dvd of a LONG out of print VHS tape of a concert that meant a lot to me and a few freinds. The band wasn't particularly happy during that time frame as they had just split and did a bunch of legal stuff against a former bandmate. A couple years later, they did a concert that while similar and popular (both album and concert dvd) are not the same.
    If one has a VHS player they can buy a used copy, which may be wore out, or if one has a laserdisc player (no longer available new), one can buy a copy in that format.

I also have an optic,(legit version) that while not expensive, is often copied, so one must be careful about where they purchase that, because even authorized sellers have been got before.

Thread Information