Thread: Win win regarding food waste

Win win regarding food waste

Many don't realize this waste of food happens this way. So the change will really benefit our huge food reclamation system.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ce/1728237002/

Very cool! I honestly believe that most people want to do the "right" thing but that that action often fades in the face of competing priorities. By removing the friction of having to quickly find a place to put a load no one wants, every one does win. I hope this can be a national program soon. Thanks for the link, sweetana!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yea!!!!!!!! for decreasing waste and some more full tummies.

I really hope we can do this nationwide. How awesome!

Yes, this is a great idea! I had no idea truckers had to take back the "uglies"
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, this is a great idea! I had no idea truckers had to take back the "uglies"
    A rejected load is a rejected load, for whatever reason.

Somewhat in this vein (but certainly topical with environmental issues), some smaller organic farmers in outstate Minnesota are getting their goods to market on "deadhead" truck runs. The farmers drive to their local grocery store. When the wholesaler's truck drops off product, the farmers help the trucker and store staff load their produce onto the truck. The farmers get their produce to a wholesaler who can then offer the goods to a broader market than the farmers could reach on their own, their trucking costs less because the vehicle was just going to have to come back empty anyway, the wholesaler has some specialty items to offer its customers, and the store and the trucker get some help unloading and reloading the truck. Lots of wins, there, too.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Excellent! We desperately need something like this in Nevada. I was looking for grocery outlet/salvage stores in Las Vegas and there are none. That's so strange...there has always been at least one in every other American town or city I've lived in.

I don't know of any retail grocery salvage or outlets here in Indy. However, we have a gigantic and I mean gigantic food bank collector and distributor company called Gleaners and a company that processes unused foods from many sources called Second Helpings. They are also a food service training facility. We love them both.

Gleaners was founded in 1980 and is a member of Feeding America the nation’s food bank network. Since its inception, Gleaners has distributed over 360 million pounds of food and critical grocery products to nearly 600 hunger relief agencies and partners serving needy Hoosiers. In addition to food distribution to agencies, we serve our most vulnerable populations, seniors and children, through specialty programs such as the BackSacks: Weekend Food for Kids, School-Based Pantry, Mobile Pantry, Summer Meals for Kids, and Senior Hunger Initiative Programs.

Each day, Second Helpings volunteers and staff rescue prepared and perishable food from wholesalers, retailers and restaurants — preventing unnecessary waste. That rescued food is used to create 4,000 hot, nutritious meals each day that are distributed to more than 90 social service agencies that feed people in need.

We also have Midwest Food Bank whose mission is providing emergency food for disasters and in the down time, other food needs.

The origin of Midwest Food Bank’s Indianapolis, Indiana location reminds us that together, we can accomplish amazing things. Efforts started here in 2005 when a group from Indianapolis worked with Midwest Food Bank to ship containers of food to Liberia, Africa, an area in desperate need.

By 2007, it became obvious that the Indianapolis area and beyond had a large population of those suffering from hunger, and the group decided that a permanent local Midwest Food Bank location was necessary. The land and building were graciously donated, and remodeling was completed by 2008 when the first load-out took place. Today, Midwest Food Bank of Indianapolis provides food to 322 agency partners. We continue to fight hunger in over 50 counties in Indiana and Kentucky with the help and support of our incredible volunteers.

Here is another food waste business model operating in Colorado and moving to other states. They purchase oversupply, imperfects, out of dates and sell to chefs and others:
    https://foodmaven.com

Thread Information