Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrist Surgery Update

Hope you heal quickly and have less pain soon!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Best wishes for the speediest of recoveries!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Post Op, Day 2: I knew it was going to be painful, but it is REALLY painful, even while taking the pain killers. They really are not making that much of a dent with the dosage they prescribed me. I did sleep well, though, as I upped the dose a little.

I hope today is the day I start turning the corner on the pain management issue. The gallery will be closed today, but tomorrow I'll be open but I have a helper coming in to do the main stuff; I'll be around on the premises (it's not like I can drive anywhere anyway). It'll be good for me to get back to some sort of routine, like having to get washed and dressed!

I think I am slowly starting to understand the recovery time in all this...sigh...toward the end of yesterday I was starting to second-guess my decision to go through with the surgery. I have to remember that what I was losing anyway would be way worse than this short term bout of pain and debilitation...

My sister has had other surgeries and was surprised at the amount of pain she had with this one. But it’s not like either of you had a choice. Hope it gets better everyday.

Post-Op Day 7: on the whole, things are improving, little by little, each day. I am off the major pain killers except one at night so I can sleep. I can move my fingers and open them up almost all the way without too much pain, and can actually grasp very light things but not too hard. I cannot lift or turn anything at all so it was tricky to get my scrambled eggs out of the pan using the spatula without them spilling all over the place, but somehow one adapts.

I think the hardest part is the mental thing - I am so used to being a "do-er" and "maker" that it is really hard to occupy myself during the long hours in the gallery. I bounce around from reading, to reading stuff on-line, getting angry at the news and the political stuff going on, trying to write, trying to draw, but I am so restless! It's going to be a long few months...

I have today off and I have to drive into Santa Fe (my first driving trip by myself) to run some errands and get fitted for my custom splint. I hope that makes my arm more comfortable! We changed the dressing finally the other night and I was preparing to see something really nasty-looking under all the bandages but it really is very innocuous looking considering what was done - an ulnar shortening and a TCFF cartilage repair. Just a thin 6 inch long scar and some swelling.

Anyway, it is tiring to type using only one hand so I will end it here. I have to do some chores around the place; my sink is full of dishes and there are clothes lying all over the place. Everything takes twice as long to do but I feel mentally better when things are put away and cleaned up.

Be careful on your drive!
    Sorry it's such a long process.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

It sounds as if you are doing well...it is so frustrating.

Fantastic progress for 7 days! Congrats on turning the corner.

I'm curious if PT is needed after this type of surgery? I hope you are pain-free soon!

My sister had PT and acupuncture.

Thread Information