Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: family health "care" rant

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It was likely that healthcare professionals would look to DH anyway for any decision. Because my brother is out of state.

For a while in my life, some years into my marriage, I wanted my brother to make my end-of-life decisions because I know that he would make the decision to pull the plug quickly. I was not confident that DH would or could do that based on my observations of his actions when our pets died.

And my brother who is in the healthcare field and his wife who is an emergency room nurse said that it didn’t matter what my documents said, It was likely that healthcare professionals would look to DH anyway for any decision. My brother is out of state anyway, to complicate matters.

But now I believe DH will carry out my wishes to the best of his ability and so that is now my official document that he is in charge.
    My parents chose me for that job. My mother said it was because I was their most reliably cold-blooded child. I assured her that when the time came I would make her pay for that remark.

That, for me, is the system working well!
    Well they have been very fortunate. The maternity and neonatal bill was in the range of $200K and completely covered. Blows me away...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Well they have been very fortunate. The maternity and neonatal bill was in the range of $200K and completely covered. Blows me away...
    That actually does not seem like much to me. They must be healthy little girls

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My parents chose me for that job. My mother said it was because I was their most reliably cold-blooded child. I assured her that when the time came I would make her pay for that remark.

So, it’s your mom who has The wit and you get it from her
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-26-18 at 7:58pm.

They must be healthy little girls
    For the most part, yes. Not just grandma talking but everyone who sees them...melts with adoration. Nothing cuter than identical twins. So...I will try to be more grateful.

Both my parents had DNR’s and all of us kids honored that.

We have healthcare through dh's work and still can't afford to go to the doctor due to co-pays and the leftover amount unpaid by insurance. As this is a hot-button topic for me, I'll leave it at this.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    We have healthcare through dh's work and still can't afford to go to the doctor due to co-pays and the leftover amount unpaid by insurance. As this is a hot-button topic for me, I'll leave it at this.
    I'm not saying the healthcare system isn't messed up, but the doctors are just as frustrated with it as we are. I don't see the doctors as being responsible for high healthcare costs.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm not saying the healthcare system isn't messed up, but the doctors are just as frustrated with it as we are. I don't see the doctors as being responsible for high healthcare costs.
    Agreed. It is rare for a MD to know what your insurance provider is and covers. Torte reform is the first thing that would help drop the cost of healthcare. Frivolous lawsuits run rampant and cost a fortune to defend so tons of money wasted. The FDA processes for the goods we use costs a bloody fortune as well. Then the 7 years of proprietary ownership to capture those costs and create a margin because after all, we are capitalists in all things. And the FDA as well covers big Pharma too.......huge markup on drugs-the biggest markup in all of healthcare.

Remember too, Americans want what they want when they want it. The best and no waiting. That costs as well. You would be amazed how many people demand an MRI needlessly. But they are persistent so docs give in and order it. Then it becomes a standard of practice and if they don't order one, then it's negligent if on the outside chance, it might have made a difference. But meanwhile, our community of less than 500k people has 7 of those damn things and they all run 24/7

My brother nearly lost his foot in a farming accident. His orthopod saved it. 3 surgeries over 4 days, all the xrays (a CT on admission), 4 nights in the hospital. And the bill was $40k. He was totally pissed. I said "they could have amputated your foot on an outpatient basis and sent you home for $10k. But you have your foot. You can't have Mercedes healthcare at a Volkswagon price. He shut up.

I could go on and on with examples...........but I won't.

Yppej
    We should have universal healthcare for all US citizens to please the left and no publicly paid for or subsidized healthcare for anyone who is not a citizen to please the right. This could be the great compromise of our generation, but both sides are too entrenched to make this work even though healthcare is the #1 issue in this election.

Thread Information