Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: family health "care" rant

My $300 alpaca got stomach cancer. When we decided against the several thousand dollars for surgery, he starved nearly to death. When hecouldn’t get up anymore, I called the vet and paid $90 for her to give him a shot and stand there until she was sure he was dead. If I had it to do over, I would use a bullet. It would be much faster, cheaper, and less stressful for the animal, who did not want a stranger in his pen or a shot which I am unconvinced was a painless death.

Chicken lady and I must have both been raised on farms. I had a suffering cat once at her end of life, who died instantly when I shot her in the head. I did it with compassion but I’m almost afraid to post this reply ...

Yppej
    My parents had a cat that needed to be put down. Vet #1 would not do it. Vet #2 also refused at which point my dad mentioned that when he was growing up on the farm they would put extra kittens in a gunny sack with heavy stones and throw the sack into the slough. Vet #2 relented.

Yep, every spring my grandpa would gather up the kittens, put them in a burlap bag and throw them in the irrigation ditch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Chicken lady and I must have both been raised on farms. I had a suffering cat once at her end of life, who died instantly when I shot her in the head. I did it with compassion but I’m almost afraid to post this reply ...
    If your are a good shot, and you know where to hit them, I am fine with that.

I have been through enough pet euthanasias to know things don’t always go swimmingly at the veterinarians place.

Yes things don’t always go right and if you are a good shot fine. PT, the most painful slow way for any living thing to die is to drown. Ugh!

Yppej
    How do you measure pain? Is drowning worse than being burned at the stake, for instance, or having someone chop off your limbs one by one?

Oh, I derailed thus thread badly. I am sorry. It was meant as a commentary on health care costs for animals and care decisions and how our subjective responses affect them.

my Dad put my brother in charge of end of life decisions because he’s afraid my mom or I would keep him “plugged in” forever (i’m Pretty sure mom would still be in charge legally, but dad is hoping the power of attorney will enable her to let go of responsibility for the decision.)

It was likely that healthcare professionals would look to DH anyway for any decision. Because my brother is out of state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Oh, I derailed thus thread badly. I am sorry. It was meant as a commentary on health care costs for animals and care decisions and how our subjective responses affect them.

my Dad put my brother in charge of end of life decisions because he’s afraid my mom or I would keep him “plugged in” forever (i’m Pretty sure mom would still be in charge legally, but dad is hoping the power of attorney will enable her to let go of responsibility for the decision.)
    For a while in my life, some years into my marriage, I wanted my brother to make my end-of-life decisions because I know that he would make the decision to pull the plug quickly. I was not confident that DH would or could do that based on my observations of his actions when our pets died.

And my brother who is in the healthcare field and his wife who is an emergency room nurse said that it didn’t matter what my documents said, It was likely that healthcare professionals would look to DH anyway for any decision. My brother is out of state anyway, to complicate matters.

But now I believe DH will carry out my wishes to the best of his ability and so that is now my official document that he is in charge.

Just want to weigh in and say as the mom of premie twins, now all safely grown, I am thrilled they are giving the twins lots of healthcare and checking for all kinds of things.
    There are all sorts of things to watch out for with low birth weight babies, and I am so glad for your family your grandchildren are getting lots of healthcare, and not having to fight for it.
    That, for me, is the system working well!

Thread Information