Thread: Fall Blooming Iris?

Fall Blooming Iris?

Yesterday we were in the downtown area of Frederick, MD. It is in zone 6. There were iris blooming in front of several buildings. I had never seen iris in the fall, so am asking if this is a special kind of iris or just due to the weird summer and fall we had in the mid-Atlantic this year.

Some varieties of iris bloom twice a year. They are known as “rebloomers.”

I have one yellow and white iris called “Total Recall” that is a reliable rebloomer. Some years I have seen it bloom 3 times: May, July, October.

I have a few other reblooming varieties, like Ozark Rebounder, that sometimes reblooms. And then, there is the trade-off of ugly blooms vs fall bloom. One terrifically ugly iris called Belvi Queen blooms like an SOB but it has blooms misplaced all over its stalks and it is hideous. I finally eliminated it from my iris collection this year, it was too ugly many of the rebloomers have poor form.

Tomorrow I am going to Iris judging class where I will take five hours of instruction on all types of bearded iris.

Thanks Iris Lilies, I KNEW you would be able to help. I think these were bearded, several purple and several yellowish gold. It was a surprise to see them. Thanks again.

I've visited Frederick once; I thought it was most charming! Would love to go through there again.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

It is a lovely town. Growing too much, but if you don't grow as a city, you die....so. I moved here in 1970- lived in town for 3 years then we moved to the country- about 30 minutes away- which is getting more built up.

Thread Information