Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaf vacuums??

Leaf vacuums??

I had to come inside as the noise was getting to me. I seem to have moved to a street where leaves are evil. All around me on this gorgeous fall Saturday, neighbors are out with their leaf blowers and their newest acquisitions, leaf vacuums. First, they blow all the leaves into piles and then use the vacuums to suck them into a bag to be thrown away like trash. The silly thing is that this blowing and vacuuming goes on sometimes daily because it takes weeks for all the leaves to drop. Going to look for my ear plugs so I can go outside again...

I hate them because they stir up allergens.

Most of our neighbors avoid fall cleanup entirely, so they aren't really a problem in my neighborhood. I definitely prefer the zen of raking myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I had to come inside as the noise was getting to me. I seem to have moved to a street where leaves are evil. All around me on this gorgeous fall Saturday, neighbors are out with their leaf blowers and their newest acquisitions, leaf vacuums. First, they blow all the leaves into piles and then use the vacuums to suck them into a bag to be thrown away like trash. The silly thing is that this blowing and vacuuming goes on sometimes daily because it takes weeks for all the leaves to drop. Going to look for my ear plugs so I can go outside again...
    My young sons used to say, when I told them something they didn't want to hear, "Don't say that either!"

OMG. What do I hate more about this--the noise? The fact that they throw organic material in a plastic bag and put it in the landfill? The fact that they are throwing away fantastic future compost/fertilizer? So hard to say. I feel for you, pinkytoe.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    …...OMG. What do I hate more about this--the noise? The fact that they throw organic material in a plastic bag and put it in the landfill? The fact that they are throwing away fantastic future compost/fertilizer? So hard to say. I feel for you, pinkytoe.
    My backyard is heavily wooded with old growth trees and my front yard has three 20+ year old red maples, all with leaves just preparing to fall. I've found the best way to deal with them is a simple mulching mower. One or two passes over the yard and they're gone.

It looks like I'll need to get started in a week or so.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Beautiful Alan! We used to mulch them when we had grass. Now with astro-turf they have to go. I use a rake and shovel but DH loves his leaf blower to get them into piles and then shovels them. A friend wants some to mulch so that's a win. Many end up on our patio which means a push broom and shovel.

Nice, Alan!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I use a mulching mower, too. It’s easier than raking and the leaves get mulched back into the lawn, which I imagine is good. My neighbor collects a few large bags of leaves and rototills them into his garden each fall. He is known among the neighbors as the tomato king because of his good vegetable garden.

My dad was using mulching mowers and he’s been dead for 25 years. What is the deal, why don’t people understand this concept?

Spent a hour raking leaves and giving them away to people for composting.

Thread Information