Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loos and Crappers

Loos and Crappers

So we're about ready to close down the VT house. The kids have indicated that they will probably want to come up on a winter weekend. But we have to shut down the plumbing to prevent pipes from freezing. So, personal use water is easy: I can leave behind a few of gallons of water.

But the bigger issue is bathroom water needs. For guys, of course, most needs can be taken care of by a step out onto the back porch. But there are other needs.

I've been thinking of getting an RV or compost toilet of some type. I'll probably be able to get year-round use of it, so it will be worth the investment.

Any recommendations? And, I hate to sound ignorant, but please also let me know how you dispose of waste. I've never camped, so I'm totally clueless.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Lake people I know, have talked about some sort of RV antifreeze that is designed to be poured into drains of RV's and cabins, that is flushable.
    My only lake visit was my last vacation, and I think I was 12 or 13.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Lake people I know, have talked about some sort of RV antifreeze that is designed to be poured into drains of RV's and cabins, that is flushable.
    My only lake visit was my last vacation, and I think I was 12 or 13.
    Oh, I'm definitely pouring anti-freeze down my plumbing, via a professional plumber so it's done correctly. That will render my plumbing unusable until the spring.

I'm asking about ways my kids can go to the bathroom without using the plumbing, if they decide to use the house in the winter. I don't want the kids flushing or using the kitchen faucets at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Someone has to dump that toilet when full. We had one at a camp in upstate NY and I consider that men’s work)

Your options really range from little more than a bucket with a lid to a full-out NASA worthy machine.

TT's experience is one of the lower end models, and for one time per season use that might be the way to go. However, you should look into composting toilets - some have a grinder and heat the waste into non- toxic garden compost, all while being scent free! Astonishing progress with waste disposal from the outhouse days!

Also, one could "go" in a five gallon bucket and add enzymes (available at r.v. and camping suppliers) and sawdust. Not sure how to get rid of said waste, though. I doubt you could bag it and set it at the curb for pickup.

Is a simple outhouse not an option for that location?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

This was 40 years ago so high tech at the time)

You have to pay to dump it. We have to dump our RV waste and the bathroom gets to smell no matter what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So we're about ready to close down the VT house. The kids have indicated that they will probably want to come up on a winter weekend. But we have to shut down the plumbing to prevent pipes from freezing. So, personal use water is easy: I can leave behind a few of gallons of water.

But the bigger issue is bathroom water needs. For guys, of course, most needs can be taken care of by a step out onto the back porch. But there are other needs.

I've been thinking of getting an RV or compost toilet of some type. I'll probably be able to get year-round use of it, so it will be worth the investment.

Any recommendations? And, I hate to sound ignorant, but please also let me know how you dispose of waste. I've never camped, so I'm totally clueless.
    If you are winterizing in that cold environment, water you leave behind is going to freeze. Honestly, I don't think I would let anyone use a winterized home. There is so much risk for you.

If you're going to let them use it, make them responsible for their water and their waste. Don't let a 1 weekend visit become such a major issue or expense for you.

I've researched composting toilets. Quality will run you $1500 plus. And who knows what happens if it then sits for months unused...........

Portapotty?

Thread Information