Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loos and Crappers

[QUOTE=Gardnr;313094]
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, I am definitely making them use their own water and take care of their own "business" without using our plumbing. That's not the issue. The issue is which way to go./QUOTE]

Ah but you're not. You intend to provide what they need. I still think it's a huge risk to let someone use a winterized home. And the cost and disaster will all be yours.

Better you than me. We do not "loan" our cabin out. We do not want to deal with damages caused by others that we then are pissed off about. Relationships are more important to us than helping someone save a hotel room. They can stay with us when we're present. That's it.
    I consider my children to be responsible adults. They're in their 30s, and they work and have their own homes/apartments. if I left them a short list of reminders for when they came up here for an overnight, I would not be concerned at all. Now I do have some members of my family I would say no to, but my kids have shared a lot of time with us up here so far, and if by chance they came up for an overnight, I wouldn't deny them it. It's not a big deal to me as long as they don't crap in the crapper.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My kids would probably do the repairs that were still outstanding while visiting in the winter. I trust them more than I trust myself with that sort of thing. It depends on the kids.

If the kids who want to visit are handy, they might be able to build a simple composting toilet which would reside in the space you describe next to the shed, which seems to be enclosed:

https://farmingmybackyard.com/diy-composting-toilet/

We have a RV portable toilet in the cabin at the farm and it's been in use for 4 years now. It's held up very well. Plug it in and it has electric flush. When close to full a warning light comes on. It seals up - dad hauls it to the local RV camp and pays to dump it. Very clean. No smell if right chemicals are used. Ect. We've been so happy with it he still hasn't run a septic line to cabin since no one is living in it full time. It has overnight guests probably 150+ nights a year and he and mom are down there almost daily for coffee in the morning on the porch or a fire in the evening. So I know that toilet is used a lot.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I googled “camping toilet” and there were quite a few types and prices. Some of the National Parks require people using the backcountry to haul out human waste. I think some of the choices backpackers use are little more than modern thunder mugs, but they are simple and cheap.

OK, Cath, here is the scoop on the latest inventions on the market through NPR. Imagine if every home could manage its own waste and generate energy.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...op-by-his-side
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    OK, Cath, here is the scoop on the latest inventions on the market through NPR. Imagine if every home could manage its own waste and generate energy.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...op-by-his-side
    haha, that's great! Bill's always thinking--this time it's "stinking thinking" but in a good way
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information