Thread: A bit irritated with the Soc. Security Administration

A bit irritated with the Soc. Security Administration

DH and I decided to start taking our social security benefit. His 69th birthday is in Dec. and mine is in January. He called the "local" office which we're appointed to (about 35 miles away), to make an appointment. He couldn't get in for 45 days, but said we could do it faster online. So DH filled his forms out and sent it in. I did the same about 2 weeks later. He found out about a week ago that his application was considered "fraudulent", and they sent a letter awhile back, telling him to call. If he didn't call, he'd have to start over. He called and explained, and the lady said he had to see the local guy. So DH set up an appointment for the first opening (mid-December). Well, about a week later, I get a letter that says I need to call the Soc. Sec. national place. She tells me I have to go see the local guy. Good thing we already had an appointment. I asked if there was trouble with my application too, and she said she couldn't tell me.

So.....now we wait and hope that all the info we've been given was correct. Supposedly, at the local office, they can send it in immediately and it's taken care of soon.
    It's all so complicated for people over 65.........social security, Medicare, supplement, RX supplement. It drives me crazy.

One thing DD's boyfriend told us, was that if my SS benefit is less than DH's, I can get half of his amount (and he still gets his full amount.). I don't get much because I stayed home and raised 2 wonderful, smart, intelligent, good-for-the-planet kids. But that doesn't count.

It gets extra complicated for me, 'cause DH doesn't handle much at home, and I have to handle all his stuff too.......but if something screws up, I'm not allowed to call and ask things about his stuff.

Anyhow........I'm frustrated with how much stuff we have to sort out after 65.....when our brains aren't as good as they used to be!

All I remember doing is making a call--honestly, I don't remember doing anything else.

New rules to keep those pesky Honduran refugees from claiming SS benefits?

Anyway, I've been receiving them for some time, and I'm happy and grateful that my government (FDR and a Democratic congress) saw fit to make SS available to all of us.

Yppej
    I'm surprised you can't authorize someone else to speak to them on your behalf, given hearing and cognition issues among many elderly.

You can make the call with him there in the room to authorize you to discuss things -- that's what I did with my mom before she passed.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

We had to sign mom up for health insurance when she moved here at over 80 years old. Found it was easiest to get an appt with one of the SHIP volunteers. They helped her navigate the programs available, her drugs and coverage, and costs. https://www.in.gov/idoi/2495.htm

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    All I remember doing is making a call--honestly, I don't remember doing anything else.

New rules to keep those pesky Honduran refugees from claiming SS benefits?

Anyway, I've been receiving them for some time, and I'm happy and grateful that my government (FDR and a Democratic congress) saw fit to make SS available to all of us.
    Yes, Jane, I am grateful for it too, even while I’m frustrated with getting the process going. It will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We had to sign mom up for health insurance when she moved here at over 80 years old. Found it was easiest to get an appt with one of the SHIP volunteers. They helped her navigate the programs available, her drugs and coverage, and costs. https://www.in.gov/idoi/2495.htm
    sweetana3 - that's wonderful that people would volunteer to help others figure out these programs. I have family members who do that for their disabled adult children, and as many years as they've been doing this it's always tough to keep one step ahead of new guidelines and programs. Just the interplay between the state and federal programs is mind-numbing.

but for myself, I signed up for Soc. Sec. online and it was all pretty simple. CathyA, I suspect there is some issue with your card numbers. Have you ever experienced any identity theft problems?

Lainey.......what we're thinking is that DH (after he first filled out his application....not sure if he had sent it yet), he tried many times to login to the site. After several times, they said he couldn't log in for 24 hours. I think he was messing up his password. Anyhow.......we're thinking that threw up a red flag at the SS place. Then maybe I became suspect, just because we were related. I had someone steal my VISA number a couple months ago. But I'm thinking it was DH messing up his password. Sometimes when something does work, he keeps trying it, long after he should stop and figure out what's wrong!

Thread Information