Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The United States of Masacres.

What does the graph of the historical murder rate in the USA look like?

Bae, that's a similar question to what UL asked. I don't care what the total murder rate is. Sometimes bad people kill other bad people. Its the type of mass murders on total innocents that have become a frequent occurence that most of us are finding so unacceptable. So it's okay to accept these things, or not be outraged by them, if our murder rate has gone down from previous years, or not nearly as bad as some other countries?

I'm just asking for data.

What's your data?

Who cares about data?? If your loved ones were massacred, how important would data be? I think I know where you're getting to.......that the murder rate has gone down, or something like that. So that means we shouldn't be outraged or try to do anything about it? I'm not sure what your point is, other than "the murder rate is going down, so don't worry about it."?

If you're just looking for data......you no doubt already know the data, so I think you're trying to say something else. Just say it.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It's gone down. So we should be complacent about it? That's like arguing that because we've reduced deaths from infection, we can afford to be a lot more casual about sterilizing surgical instruments.

By the same token, the numbers of people in the world living in dire poverty has plummeted over the past few decades. So let's stop fighting poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    It might be as relevant or more so to look at mass shootings rather than just murder. That seems to be the trend item these days.

I've seen the news cite the increase in hate crimes, but that could seem to have a fairly wide definition by some accounts.

It might be more relevant to consider so-called "hate crimes," since that's what we're seeing more of.

I don't feel at all unsafe in my little bubble, because I'm not a member of one of the hated minorities Trump and his henchman keep vilifying. And you can include journalists in that classification.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pittsbu...united-states/

You can ignore the threat all you want, and you can even escape to a far less violent country if you have the money to do so, but you can't deny this is a dark time in recent American history.

I find it annoying when people ask questions that they know the answer too. I agree Cathy that these hate crimes are horrible. Trump is inciting people to act crazy. He encourages violence. Sure you need to be unstable to let what your leader says to inspire you to take action. Truly disgusting!

What I can't understand at all, is that our laws don't allow us to remove a president who encourages violence against the country's own people. I know certain rules of law have to be met before trying to oust a president........but doesn't Trump seem to have met some pretty bad criteria? He encourages uprisings. Yes, a bigger concern might be all of his followers. But I'm getting the distinct feeling that the biggest thing they're loving from him, is his rhetoric to rise up and fight. I think he speaks to many people who are just rebellious and don't even care anything about the economy, healthcare, taxes, or ANYTHING, other than him encouraging them to throw fits and proudly be angry. Trump is the king of Id. He speaks to everyone's Id and encourages that part of their ego to do whatever the hell they want to do. I just can't believe more people in Congress aren't showing their total disgust with him and doing all they can to stop him.

What does the rate of hate crimes look like?

People are claiming "this is a dark time", and "there are lots more XXX things happening".

So there should be data. And looking at the data, one might be able to tease out some cause-effect relationships.

Which might be more useful than going with the sound bite of the day.

Thread Information