Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 86

Thread: The United States of Masacres.

  1. #41
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,117
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Hopefully, the bad guys are killing other bad guys off. Unfortunately, I think a few innocents were involved.
    This morning an armed robber shot a man outside of his house, a retired cop. I think it was an attemped car jacking, not sure. This took place within a mile of my house. Of course this event will never make headline news. And the easily excitable will not hear about it to be all aquiver.

    As often happens, the dead cop got in a shot or two before he was felled. Both victim amd perp ended up at the same hospital where again, as often happens, the driver of the perp vehicle shoved out their gunshot buddy into the double doored entryway of the hospital
    emergency room nefore he sped off.

    Neber a dull moment in Murder City.

  2. #42
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,590
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This morning an armed robber shot a man outside of his house, a retired cop. I think it was an attemped car jacking, not sure. This took place within a mile of my house. Of course this event will never make headline news. And the easily excitable will not hear about it to be all aquiver.

    As often happens, the dead cop got in a shot or two before he was felled. Both victim amd perp ended up at the same hospital where again, as often happens, the driver of the perp vehicle shoved out their gunshot buddy into the double doored entryway of the hospital
    emergency room nefore he sped off.

    Neber a dull moment in Murder City.
    Not sure what this has to do with incitement to commit hate crimes. It's certainly a violent and regrettable event, though. People walking into houses of worship and gunning down the congregation is naturally more newsworthy than a single shooting committed during a criminal act.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,280
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post

    Looking back at our history, we've always been a violent nation. We've killed two presidents
    Actually four - Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy.

    And yes, we have always been a violent nation. People interested in hate crime trends might wish to visit the National Lynching Memorial which opened earlier this year in Montgomery.

  4. #44
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    13,117
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Not sure what this has to do with incitement to commit hate crimes. It's certainly a violent and regrettable event, though. People walking into houses of worship and gunning down the congregation is naturally more newsworthy than a single shooting committed during a criminal act.
    This thread is about about mass murders the U.S. and the pervasiveness of same.

    My story is anecdotal but illustrates one of many daily events, murders, in this country which when totaled up far exceed the occasional mass shooting.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    759
    I gather "The U. S. of Massacres" relates to the recent event in Pittsburgh.

    One can go on a number of tangents. I feel great disgust about the anti-Semitism and gun violence that was manifested.


    Am Yisrael Chai "The people of Israel live."

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    beyond the pale
    Posts
    2,566
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There's a great Kevin Williamson piece in National Review: "Rage Makes You Stupid". I think it makes us stupid in all kinds of ways, from making you believe various forms of violence are justified by your anger to attributing various acts of violence to the words of people you don't like. From hounding people out of restaurants to hounding people out of careers. People are actually writing articles every Thanksgiving about how to humiliate you're idiot right/left wing relatives at the dinner table.

    Given the tragic idiocy of our present epoch, I'm beginning to believe that politics is a dish best served cold.

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...es-you-stupid/
    What about hounding women who are just walking in to a Planned Parenthood for their pap smear and birth control? Does National Review condemn that as well?

  7. #47
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,137
    I think you have to separate the gun violence from the hatred. They are two different aspects married together. Mass movements based on hatred are comprised of isolated “loners”. People might disagree with me but I think we are about two years into a government that is quasi-totalitarian or totalitarian-lite.

    As long as our Constitution is in tact, we cannot become a totalitarian government but Trump is chipping away at certain parts of the Constitution. His attacks on the news media have a chilling effect on the purpose of a free press and the first amendment. The fourth amendment has been compromised. The irresponsible way Trump massages the truth and warps reality, mimics tactics totalitarians use to present one “truth” to followers who want to escape reality while non disciples can’t understand the attraction.

    Mass murderers grasp onto an alternate reality. None of this matters when an AR15 is pointed at you, or a .223 round whizzes past your head or a pipe bomb gets stuffed in your mailbox.

    “The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (I.e. the reality of experience) true and false (i.e. , the standards of thought) no longer exists.”

    Hannah Arendt, “The Origins Of Totalitarianism”

    In 2016, Trump made the following statement at an Iowa campaign rally, “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.” He wasn’t just making an observation about his disciples dedication, he was implying that he was leading a movement that would challenge reality.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Ultralight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    9,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I think you have to separate the gun violence from the hatred. They are two different aspects married together. Mass movements based on hatred are comprised of isolated “loners”. People might disagree with me but I think we are about two years into a government that is quasi-totalitarian or totalitarian-lite.

    As long as our Constitution is in tact, we cannot become a totalitarian government but Trump is chipping away at certain parts of the Constitution. His attacks on the news media have a chilling effect on the purpose of a free press and the first amendment. The fourth amendment has been compromised. The irresponsible way Trump massages the truth and warps reality, mimics tactics totalitarians use to present one “truth” to followers who want to escape reality while non disciples can’t understand the attraction.

    Mass murderers grasp onto an alternate reality. None of this matters when an AR15 is pointed at you, or a .223 round whizzes past your head or a pipe bomb gets stuffed in your mailbox.

    “The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction (I.e. the reality of experience) true and false (i.e. , the standards of thought) no longer exists.”

    Hannah Arendt, “The Origins Of Totalitarianism”

    In 2016, Trump made the following statement at an Iowa campaign rally, “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.” He wasn’t just making an observation about his disciples dedication, he was implying that he was leading a movement that would challenge reality.
    Trump's your boy. Regret that vote yet?
    ďI came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

  9. #49
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,287
    I heard with some amount of irritation today the Press Secretary hedging on some very pointed questions about suspending habeas corpus to deal with the Border Invasion Thing. Similar questions about using US troops here in the US were also dodged.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Williamsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Penns Woods
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Trump's your boy. Regret that vote yet?
    I donít remember ever divulging who I voted for....but I donít regret my vote.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •