Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chronic lateness

I used to get up, shower, eat breakfast, and go to work. Now I get up, check facebook, check simple living, eat, look at youtube, shower, go to work. I don't understand why it takes me so long between getting up and arriving at work. I suppose part of it is that no one cares whether I show up at work on time or not.

I wake up and am out the door in under 30 minutes. I am also chronically early to everything.

some people just aren't morning people, this might even be genetic, and it's influenced some by age etc.. If they have a job that requires them to be there early, then yea it will have a tendency to happen, stealing the last few minutes of sleep.

But if you wake up 3 hours before work that's clearly not it. I wake up 2 - 2 1/2 hours before I get to work, of course it is an hours drive before I get to work as well. But if the job doesn't care if you don't get in early (so long as you put in the 8 hours) then this time before work is very good time to use however one wants to. Why rush to waste it on work anyway? (assuming the job doesn't care).
    Trees don't grow on money

I am always on time, of course I am the boss and I open the doors for before school childcare. In previous jobs, even the one I hated by the end of last year, I was also on time. I think that I know if I started to be late then it would just snowball. At least last year I had some staff to close so I could leave before the program ended once a week. This job I have to be the last one out,

Now paperwork and other things are very difficult for me to do on time. I am doing it at this job because the load is lighter and it is so clearly spelled out. No last minute crisis all the time, which pretty much burned me out on trying for on time all the time. I recognize the paperwork thing as a mental issue more than a job qualifications issue.

I know people who would always walk into church exactly 30 minutes late. One guy once made a comment about his own perpetual lateness to church. I asked him if he was perpetually late to work and how his employer dealt with it. He said he was only on time for work because he’d be fired otherwise. Everything else, including medical appts, outings with friends, etc., he said he was always very late to. I asked him how his friends liked him always being late and he was confused by the question.

I don’t tolerate people being perpetually late for outings or cancelling on me. You do that repeatedly and I don’t make plans with you anymore. In the age of cell phones, there is also no reason to not notify people you will be late. Yet, a lot of people still don’t call when they will be late.

Yeah, I'm thinking too that if you are constantly late to everything, and it continues, it must not be at anything you can get fired from, or get in trouble for. ....sort of positive reinforcement for continuing to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Frugalone, are you late to everything? Not just work and lunch with your mom, but medical appts, visits with friends, the movies, etc.

Pretty much, yes. Or if I'm not actually late, I'm there right on the dot.

Well, those were interesting articles. I don't hate being early, so I think it's more like the other one: I underestimate how much time it will take me to, say, eat a bowl of cereal, or take a bath.

As for the "negative consequences", at this job, there are none. At least my boss doesn't care, and there's a 7-minute window for clock-in time. After that, they dock your pay 15 minutes. So yeah, a consequence does exist. But I had a job (and I loathed it) where they were always on me about being late. Probably comes as no surprise that I was let go. At that point, I was so relieved to get out of there...

Are you a passive-aggressive person frugalone?

Haha......ever since I saw your name on this forum, I see you as "Fruga-lone".

Thread Information