Hello--As we move toward our closing (next week--eeeek!), I'm trying to make a decision on whether to hire a dumpster or a hauler. My first problem is that Spouse is being very reluctant about this. He *claims* he'll "throw out all his stuff" but he has yet to call anyone about a dumpster. He does have experience in this area, having worked construction for many years. Second problem is, we don't really have room for a dumpster, even a small one. We may be able to negotiate with a kind neighbor and put it in her yard.

So this morning I called a hauler upon the recommendation of a friend (see the Daily Peeve thread). The guy I talked to spent about five minutes telling me: 1) dumpsters are a ripoff b/c they will charge you for "fuel"; 2) They will charge you if your load is overweight; and 3) they will add in all sorts of hidden costs. Then he told me to call his daughter (it's a family business) and talk to her about it. Apparently they want to come into the house and pick the stuff up themselves, rather than us leaving it at the curb/in the yard. Spouse doesn't want people in the house--speaking of ripoffs, he claims he knows of several instances where people's stuff "disappeared" (stuff they didn't want to get rid of, that is), and that "hiring a hauler is the biggest ripoff of all." Here's another problem. You literally cannot walk in our basement. We're talkin' Hoarders here.

I'm partly hysterically venting here, because the heat is on to get handrails installed in the new place, homeowners' ins. in place etc. I told Spouse I want to be in the new house by Dec. 31. He said wistfully, "I wish there was some sort of 'middle ground type place' where we could put stuff in the meantime."

How about NO? Poop or get off the pot, I say. He's known about moving for months now. He did this last time we moved--left everything until the 11th hour.

P.S. We also have a car that I strongly suspect belongs in a junkyard, but he insists he's got to see if he can get it started with a new battery so he can DRIVE it to the junkyard and get more money for it. I feel like telling him, "I want my name off the title and it's your responsibility from now on."

I'm mad as a hornet at the moment...Can ya tell?