Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumpster vs. hauler

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I had great luck using various hauling firms for cleaning out both of my in-laws' homes. Having "Two Men And A Truck" show up and do a professional reliable job was life-saving. I also used another local hauling service to good effect.

Seriously, hire it out.
    My sister hired "Two Men" when she lived in Fla. Unfortunately, they don't serve our area. I'll have to keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Would donating the car to charity (tax write off for you) be acceptable to your husband?
    After my father died, my brother donated his car to www.Kars4Kids. Reportedly a quick smooth transaction, in spite of the fact that dad had shredded the pink slip; they took care of it all.
    Kars4Kids has been accused of misleading donors; if that bothers you there are several other organizations (PBS, etc.) which will take vehicles. Not sure if they need to be running, however. That might be a good compromise. IIRC nowadays you put the value on the car that you claim for the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Also, you might want to think about some "runners" for filling the dumpster. It takes a lot of time, running out there and back, you will be way more efficient with help, so you - both- can concentrate on the decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by bae
    Seriously, hire it out.
    Agreed. Two Men and a Truck or 1-800-GOT-JUNK, etc., show up with the truck and the designated number of strapping young men (never seen a woman on the crews) and they move items. They fill the truck (or trucks) and leave. No begging neighbors to let you kill their grass with a dumpster or a POD. You just sit in the basement directing which items go out the door. Worth the $$ IMHO in your particular instance. My experience is that offering ice water on a hot day or snacks helps get past the inevitable surprises (what they "can't" take, items which are not quite ready to move, etc.)

I hope I'm not doxxing anyone, but many years ago my first wife and I helped others move a couple in our church group. Despite having weeks to prepare for the move, when we all got there the day they were supposed to leave we found in the back of the rented truck a collection of car parts (nothing rare) that He had always planned to work on some day and, in the basement, several four-drawer file cabinets filled mostly with outdated documents which didn't need to be kept for legal reasons, etc. but which hadn't been winnowed through, and a big chest freezer that was filled with food and but not unplugged, in the hopes that the food would keep all the way out to Frozen Nose, Montana (or wherever they moved). She also had not packed away (before we arrived) the -- umm -- "toys" they had in their bedroom; one of the well-meaning helpers found those unintentionally. Interesting move...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, I recently read that if you donate a vehicle the IRS only lets you deduct whatever it sells for at auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Steve, I recently read that if you donate a vehicle the IRS only lets you deduct whatever it sells for at auction.
    Ahh! We donated a vehicle several years ago to a local vo-tech school; I know the rules have changed since then but haven't had occasion to look back at the rules. Thanks!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Do you have 1-800-JUNK? I'm with Steve--we're used it twice and it is worth the money for sure.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Since the tax laws have changed, be aware that if your total deductions don't exceed the big automatic deduction we're getting now, you're better off taking the big deduction, and forgetting the smaller ones. We used to give our old cars to PBS.

We do have 1-800-JUNK. I think ages ago I started a thread about them and a coupon I had. When I called the company, it was rather expensive. (but probably no more than a dumpster). Spouse says "that firm is the biggest ripoff of all." :rolls eyes:

Re: tax laws. We don't do deductions because, as CathyA pointed out, the deduction for a married couple filing jointly is larger now. I was a little disappointed because I didn't realize that you couldn't do both, and I'd been hearing all my life about what a great tax deal it was when you buy a house.

Yeah, I was at first disappointed too, because our Home Equity loan interest isn't deductible anymore. But really, it wouldn't have come anywhere near the new deduction for married couples filing jointly.
    I'm sort of relieved, because now I don't have to take pictures and make lists of all the stuff I give to Goodwill, etc.

A little off-topic........maybe you should be glad you don't have room for a dumpster. You wouldn't believe how many strangers dump stuff in other people's dumpsters!

I would check the dumpster price versus the other company. Here it’s much cheaper to rent the dumpster.

Thread Information