Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No wonder republican men are afraid

Maryland just put in a constitutional question about having the gambling money be dedicated to schools as additional funding, not in place of state funding. It was promised to go to schools when the gambling bill passed, but was instead put in the general fund. I voted yes to a dedicated fund. They did that with transportation and the gas taxes too...not dedicated. Kind of like Congress with Social Security I think.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    On the plus side for the Democrats, the realization seems to have dawned on some of them that local politics actually matters; and that actually working at the local level may be more effective than advancing conspiracy theories about voter suppression and Russian internet rumor-mongering.
    Really? Dems aren't into politics at the grassroots level? I didn't know that.

And I wasn't aware that they owned conspiracy-mongering. That strategy has definitely been a two-way street, amplified and perfected by our current GOP Commander-In-Chief
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Pot is legal here and since it’s no worse than alcohol I think it’s a good thing. Now people with medical issues don’t have to buy it illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I don't think they are afraid. I think they are confident. Why? Republicans know how to win. They work together and whip Dem ass nearly every time.

The same thing will likely happen next week.
    Interesting that you are in favor of Republicans. They represent big business. The tax cut recently was to the wealthy. None of these apply to you. What is your rationale?

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Really? Dems aren't into politics at the grassroots level? I didn't know that.
    I would have thought losing all those State and local offices since the turn of the century would have spoken for itself.

“Grassroots” protests over national issues are fine, and I’m sure cathartic, but at some point you have to dirty your hands running for offices at the ground level. A lot of the smarter Democrat pundits have been saying this for some years now, and people are finally starting to get it.

One consequence is the thin bench of potential candidates at the national level. Old rich white people mostly. A guy like O’Rourke in Texas comes along, and they think he’s the second coming. There’s so little depth there.

I would have thought losing all those State and local offices since the turn of the century would have spoken for itself.

“Grassroots” protests over national issues are fine, and I’m sure cathartic, but at some point you have to dirty your hands running for offices at the ground level. A lot of the smarter Democrat pundits have been saying this for some years now, and people are finally starting to get it.

One consequence is the thin bench of potential candidates at the national level. Old rich white people mostly. A guy like O’Rourke in Texas comes along, and they think he’s the second coming. There’s so little depth there.
    I guess my perception was skewed for a couple of reasons, but mostly because of my long tenure in Blue states: NJ has two Democratic senators and 7 out of 12 congressional districts have Democratic congresspeople. Interestingly, we not infrequently wind up voting for Republican governors.

Here's an interesting analysis of your point in The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...litics/512024/
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm seeing all kinds of depth and new blood: Dillum*, Abrams. O'Roarke, Gabbard, Ammar Campa-Najjar, the many young veterans who are running, Kamala Harris...I'm very much impressed by the Parkland survivors and all the others who are spurning Big Money and running to better their country, which sorely needs them.

That would be Gillum. Duh.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 11-4-18 at 10:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm seeing all kinds of depth and new blood: Dillum, Abrams. O'Roarke, Gabbard, Ammar Campa-Najjar, the many young veterans who are running, Kamala Harris...I'm very much impressed by the Parkland survivors and all the others who are spurning Big Money and running to better their country, which sorely needs them.
    That’s my point. There’s a sort of lost generation of Democrats between this current crop of Trump-inspired youngsters and the septuagenarians in the higher offices. Neglecting local politics for so long led to a dearth of experienced minor leaguers ready to move up to the majors. This was especially true during the Obama years when all eyes were on the glamorous Sun King and nobody bothered tilling the soil and something like a thousand State legislative seats and governors were lost.

If that’s changing now, the Democrats should thank Trump for rejuvenating their party.

I see a lot of middle-aged strivers in local politics, but it wouldn't break my heart if younger people took the reins out of the hands of the living fossils in power and charged forward. Isn't that the way it's supposed to work?
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 11-1-18 at 4:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I see a lot of middle-aged strivers in local politics,
    You don’t see as many as you would have twenty years ago.

Thread Information