Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so sick of political ads!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I'm fascinated with Trump's campaign strategy these past few days. Honestly--I think his strategy is stir up as much anger and hate as possible. He is even turning down opportunities to talk about the broader-reaching positives of his administration: the economy. He said that talking about the economy is "boring." This only means one thing: he truly is a genius marketer. He knows that fear is a more potent motivator than pleasure. And he is stirring the fear pot.

Statistics about a low unemployment rate? Big deal. Increase in GDP? So what. Consumer confidence index? Meh.
    But talk about "those people" invading my space, my culture, and threatening my worldview--THAT'S a message that resonates.

Now he's adding fuel to the fire and having a campaign rally with Rush Limbaugh. Ya gotta give him credit. He knows his base.

He's broken every rule. We'll see tomorrow night if it paid off for him this time.
    It’s not just Rush Limbaugh it’s Sean Hannity as well. Here, in a battleground state for a Senate seat where the two candidates are exactly even in the polls.

there is stuff that probably is positive. I'm not a free trader, Trump's protectionism is likely not to be the best thought out but Dems positions on trade have sucked so those moves I think could be positive.

The economy is better than the depths of the recession, that much is likely true (it is probably no better than say in 2014 though as more jobs were actually added then I believe, so let's not get completely crazy here. But better than the recession sure).

They were closing down the unemployment offices around in here and the state in general. Rumor was there were two reasons and only one is actually positive: 1) better economy 2) less and less people qualifying for unemployment due to more and more gig work (not even contract work true gig work) like Uber. People with NO safety net if things get worse. So the economy kinda but probably not as much as all that.

But yea he's running on racism and prejudice and fear of the other. That's not even a smear, that's just a cold hard fact.
    Trees don't grow on money

Maybe someone has mentioned this, but I haven't read through all the thread. But I can't believe (well, yes I can), that when trump stumps for some republican candidate, he says "A vote for them, is a vote for ME".......me, me, me, me, me,......it's all about him. He sickens me.

Only a few hours. And I'm listening to iPod music so I'm actually done

Williamsmith
    I can only speak for my very limited perspective but I believe Trump will lose the House of Representatives. And the Senate will be a squeaker. The record numbers of voters is a good sign for Democrats. Trumps appeal to fear and hate and anger only goes so far. The millennial vote is beginning to show itself. Healthcare is and always has been the most concerning issue. Immigration and the economy a long second and third. I think Trump has hit his apex. Trump hooked himself at the hip to Limbaugh and Hannity. THey are the most polarizing conservative entertainers in the country. I think it hurt him as it was seen as a last ditch effort to save the House. I wanted to sit it out......you can’t break a bad habit.........I VOTED!

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I wanted to sit it out......you can’t break a bad habit.........I VOTED!
    OMG, you DIDN'T!

I really wish I could have stood in the supposedly long lines. I'm a spectator by circumstance. AND I was further devastated to learn after-the-fact that the local Democrats had a Get-Out-the-Vote rally ONE MILE FROM MY HOUSE last Saturday: And Bernie was there as well as Christine Halquist!!! And this is a small place. I looked at the pictures and I think there were maybe 30 people there. I don't know how I missed it. I guess I have to sign up with the local Democrats to stay in the know.

Anyway, I hope you feel comfortable with your decision, WS.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So glad you voted, WS! Our little town was hopping with voters. We may go to watch election returns at the theater in town that Michael Moore gave to the town, so he'll probably be there. He was showing Fahrenheit 11/9 all week for free--really, really good.

Catherine, when the part of the movie came where he interviewed Bernie, both my husband and I broke down crying. I worked so hard during that election; the theft of the election really broke my heart.

Williamsmith
    For some reason this bothered me.

“As the USA gets ready to vote in our own election next week, I hope everyone back home exercises their precious right to vote," he wrote. ". .....Major Brent Taylor killed in Afghanistan.

Father of seven. I couldn’t dishonor one of his last wishes ....once it came to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Catherine, when the part of the movie came where he interviewed Bernie, both my husband and I broke down crying. I worked so hard during that election; the theft of the election really broke my heart.
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm sure I'd have an emotional reaction, too.. He definitely had that election stolen from him. I'll never forget the look on his face at the Democratic National Convention, after he had that "back room" meeting with the Clintons, and then turned his delegates over to her.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We sent friends from our Bernie group to that convention, we raised money for them to go and sent them to represent all of us, and they came back with horror stories of what happened to them there, and how they were treated, and the duplicity that happened there--they were lifelong Dems, and they were shocked.

I won't forget the look on his face, either.

Thread Information