Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recovery update

recovery update

I wanted to check in, update on the health side and maybe get more active again.

I am still on 2 meds, the 3rd one is for emergencies and I haven't needed it. I can pretty much meditate through issues now. I find that I get queasy in the morning many days, especially the ones that are very early. I also find myself clenching my teeth. I have not been doing as well on the sugar. I have been reading alot more on the nutrition supports for bipolar. I always knew I was sensitive to sugar so that was the encouragement I needed to really do more. I need to pack a few more snacks (I love almonds and they are on the good list but I have 2 highly allergic children in program). I do sleep a lot more, one weekend I slept over 10 hours one night. So I am doing a split shift today and not napping! I am fine without naps but I can sleep for a long time if I lay down. Between the queasiness, lower sugar and a medication side effect I think I am 5-7 lbs lighter than when I quit my job. I have had to buy almost all new clothes, at least all pants. Bras are on the edge, I have 2 that fit and if I lose more weight I will need to start special ordering for my size.I need to remember this is a serious illness, I treated it like some little annoyance for so long.

I posted before that I am liking my new job and appear to be doing well. I worry about my brain and memory at times. The tasks however are so clearly laid out that I am getting everything done. I have had a few realizations, and one was that the culture of my last job has always been one that didn't value our time or personal lives. This work is hard enough, and the care of the overall department makes a big difference. At the beginning of last school year I just didn't want to work like that anymore.

Your writings now are clear and focused. And the sense of panic and looming disaster that infused your previous writings is gone. You sound SO mUCH better.

Your illness will always be something you have to watch and treat.

Thank you IL, I know for awhile you have pointed out when my writing gets really disorganized. I probably argued against that observation but I can tell a difference now from the other side.

Yes I totally agree with IL that you are focused and coherent. I am so happy that things are turning out well. A toxic work environment really takes a toll. The one time I was in one I just walked out crying one day after packing my stuff. Fortunately we didn’t need the income.

You do seem to have a lot more clarity! Your old boss did you a tremendous favor by pushing you out the door.

ZG, I know you have faced lots of different challenges over the years. Your last employer was TOXIC TO THE MAX! I am honestly amazed that you survived there as long as you did. It would have broken many of us much sooner. Myself included.

The new place sounds MUCH healthier and like an excellent place for you to land while you focus on getting stabilized on all fronts -- mental health-wise, energy wise, economically, socially etc.

BTW, how are things going with the new roommate situation?
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

That is all good to hear from you all. I see myself as more broken than strong many days. The 2 of us from the old job that I think had the most impressive programming both got pushed beyond our capabilities with the work load and left. Now I am building my team effectively at the new job and know the kids names!! (130 children).

The roommate is going well. A very quiet place to live. I was able to spread out in the basement where my room is to do a lot of sewing projects for awhile. My cat gets a little stuck in the room but I got a baby gate so he can roam the whole basement when I set that up. It will be time to move before January because we knew her mom was coming to visit for 2 months. So that was planned ahead and I am starting to look.

Yes, you definitely sound better. You’re stringing coherent sentences together!

Overall this is really good, and I am glad I am more coherent. I can see why a few people suggested that I take a leave the last 6 months of that job (HR and a supervisor). Of course during the time leading up to and after the breakdown I was in pretty bad shape. Now I am worried that I have always been this incoherent wreck, oh dear. However in the middle of it all I did get a new job so I haven't been in bad shape everywhere.

This is rather silly, I think with any kind of brain based illness you sometimes worry you are crazy.

In my 20 yrs experience - those who worry about it are not what most people think of as “crazy”. They are just anxious.

Truly “crazy” people usually don’t think they are.

Thread Information