Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Patricia There?

Is Patricia There?

Have you gotten these calls? I've gotten quite a few over the years. they just called today. Someone calls and says "Is Patricia there?" When you say "No", they then say "Well maybe you can help me"........and they're wanting a donation. When he called today and asked, I just said "Now you know she isn't!!" and hung up and blocked the number (which won't matter because they have millions of other numbers.)

I need to think of something better to say.......like "Yes, she's here, just a minute", and get my air horn and let it rip into the mouth piece. haha Or......say "yes, I'll get her"........and leave the phone on the table and go away.

That is a new approach to hear about. Amazing what is tried.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I always request that our number be removed from their list. I actually feel that helps - at least a little.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

A few years ago someone named David used my phone number to sign up for a survey service. I am still getting calls and texts for him, argh. Sometimes you can get removed but it is always different numbers. Same with the time I was comparing health insurance plans, I have been getting calls for 3 years! Patricia is a new one for me.

I've simply stopped answering the phone if I don't recognize the number and am not immediately expecting an unknown number (for example, if I'm waiting for the plumber to call me with an ETA for my visit -- and, even then, (s)he'd better have a local area code and a real number).

It's amazing to me how quickly the bad actors have screwed up one of mankind's biggest inventions.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I read that a growing portion of these calls are not voices of actual humans. Robots so to speak.

The air horn won't work as the phone system eliminates highs and lows now. (talked to a LEO friend who said shots sound like knocks on a table)
    Do the table trick.

Steve I also do that, I got caught up for awhile when I was looking for a job. I answered all the calls then. I can go back to ignoring,

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Steve I also do that, I got caught up for awhile when I was looking for a job. I answered all the calls then. I can go back to ignoring,
    oh I'd only ever answer calls maybe less than half the time, if I was feeling adventurous, when looking for work. From having my resume on job boards, I got several ridiculous job spam calls a day (and I don't mean anything that ever would lead to anything real, bad recruiters were just calling anyone with a keyword in their resume and throwing resumes randomly all over the place) that answering the phone was ridiculous. If they were serious (and even if they weren't) they could leave a message I figured - anyone serious and more than half of the spam calls did and at least I avoided wasting time.
    Trees don't grow on money

Our answering machine is always on, we NEVER pick up unless we know who it is. It saves time and energy.

Thread Information