Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Patricia There?

My favorite answer is, "Nope, she's doin' a nickel upstate."

I use that when they ask for "the person who's responsible for ...." or me or whatever.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

LOL that's a good one Kay.

The scammers/telemarketers have caught on that if they call with a number that has your local prefix on it, you're more likely to answer it. That's true. I always think it's someone locally calling me.
    But I've caught on to this.......If you say hello, and no one answers immediately, hang up quickly. Then I block that number.

That same prefix scam doesnt work for me. I still have my phone number from when we lived in NJ so if someone calls with my area code and prefix i know it’s a scam. If i could block all 9,999 of these numbers in bulk i would.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If i could block all 9,999 of these numbers in bulk i would.
    It's possible on smartphones. There are apps that do just that -- block and area code and exchange. I've recently started using one (WideProtect, for iPhones) and have been pleased at the quiet I've experienced. I also, however, seem to get fewer legitimate calls (doctor, etc.) ringing through, but they can leave voicemail so eventually I know they've called. That's just annoying when I'm expecting a callback and I don't want to babysit the phone -- but I'm not sure it's something WideProtect is doing.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

FWIW, there's an article at AARP.org about stopping spam calls:
    https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fra...Sgt20IEkRmE%3d

I've got a new twist: apparently the person who owned my number before has now got debt collectors coming after her. Meaning, they're dialing my number of course. I've already answered one such call around noon today to inform them they have the wrong person. They apologized and agreed to correct their records, and then I blocked the number. Naturally, I checked my phone about an hour ago and there was another call from this same number showing up in my call log. Appears they are happy to have connected with a live person and it will remain to be seen if they do actually stop calling me.
    I think the FCC needs to take a test case against these spammers/scammers and hammer them with fines and jail time.

I got another one of these the other day. When he said "Is Patricia there?" I just yelled "Dammit.....you know she isn't!!" and hung up.

When they call again, I've been thinking about saying "No......she died last week." And start crying, going on and on about Patricia and her hard life and how will we get on without her???!
    DH said........"But then they would probably continue their spiel."

We do what Steve does.

Our landline number was given out by someone who didn't pay their debts. One time I got a collection caller who wanted to speak to X. I replied "I do too--so I can tell her to stop giving out my number!" Once the agent stopped laughing, she offered to remove my number from the lists. It worked for that batch of debt collection calls!
    Mrs. Hermit

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Argh..those darn spam calls. We donated to Emily's List to support female candidates and they must have sold our name because we soon got deluged with donation calls (let no good deed go unpunished??)..now we let the calls go to the answering machine and pick up if a friend or expected vendor speaks after the message.

We even quieted the ringer as the constant ringing was aggravating me.

Sure do hate paying for a service that we're cowed into not using due to constant spam calls. There outta be a law..
    peaceful, easy feeling

HappyHiker......is your number on a do-not-call list? That doesn't completely get rid of them, but seems to get rid of quite a few.

About donating........I have quit donating to anything. Even if it was an environmental organization, they would use up my donation in no time on mailings to me, asking for more. It's ridiculous.

Thread Information