Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CNN: "The biggest terror threat in this country is white men"

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What office is Mr. Bannon running for?
    He's a powerful player behind the scenes; he'll be swept out with other Neo-Nazis. Unless he's indicted. In the meantime, I'm afraid we're stuck with him.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    He's a powerful player behind the scenes; he'll be swept out with other Neo-Nazis. Unless he's indicted. In the meantime, I'm afraid we're stuck with him.
    Swept out of what? What scene is he playing behind? His erstwhile boss fired him some time ago.

If he neither holds nor works for someone in elected office, how can he be voted out? He’s a private citizen whose influence is limited to people listening to his preposterous views. How do you propose to silence him without using methods a Nazi would approve of?

Huh? The whole raison d'etre of the Involuntarily Celibate crowd is sex--complaining about the lack of it, insulting those who enjoy it, justifying how they deserve it, expressing rape fantasies and worse...Insults are the least of their weapons.
    Yes, this is what I find puzzling and sad.

The community of people I exist in is very sex-positive and accepting. The folks in these various groups you mention, and others like them on all parts of the spectrum, I find alien and disturbing.

Swept out of what? What scene is he playing behind? His erstwhile boss fired him some time ago.

If he neither holds nor works for someone in elected office, how can he be voted out? He’s a private citizen whose influence is limited to people listening to his preposterous views. How do you propose to silence him without using methods a Nazi would approve of?
    Eventually, his patrons will be out of fashion, and he along with them. Then he can bay at the moon, for all I care.

Eventually, his patrons will be out of fashion, and he along with them. Then he can bay at the moon, for all I care.
    What patrons? Is there another conspiracy theory I need to keep track of?

I won’t mind seeing the back of lackwits like Trump or Bannon, but all this talk of some righteous reckoning makes me think there are some others to worry about.

What patrons? Is there another conspiracy theory I need to keep track of?

I won’t mind seeing the back of lackwits like Trump or Bannon, but all this talk of some righteous reckoning makes me think there are some others to worry about.
    I'm not aware of any conspiracy. Bannon was "fired," because he talked to Wolff, but he's still in contact with Trump as far as I know, and certainly with Miller, Spencer at al, who all have Trump's ear. Spencer is heavily involved in immigrant issues. They're all despicable.

On 10/31/2018 Don Lemon repeated and clarified his earlier statement.

He cited a 2017 report from the Office of Government Accountability which states the majority of incidents of domestic terrorism 2001-2016 was committed by right-wing extremists.

Lemon also cited a report by The Nation Institute's Investigative Fund, looking at both plots and attacks: 201 domestic terrorist incidents on U. S. soil from January 2008 to the end of 2016. The database shows 115 (57%) cases by "right-wing extremists" … and 63 (31%) by "Islamist extremists". The total death toll on U. S. soil was 169 persons, 79 (47%) killed by right-wing extremists … and 90 (53%) killed by Islamist extremists. The latter number includes the 11/9/2009 killing of 13 persons at Fort Hood by U. S. Army Major Nidal Hasan.

I may have missed something, but I did not see data in either citation about the race of perpetrators. I see that a reporter for HuffPost by the name of David Neiwert said "when it comes to right-wing extremism" attackers "are mostly men" and "almost purely white". I gather that Don Lemon accepts and agrees with this observation. People who object to the construct of race as flawed or over-used might cringe at Neiwert's use of the expression "almost purely white".

48% of the incidents attributed to "Islamist extremists" were sting operations in which the attack was prevented by law enforcement. For example, a youth might be recruited by undercover FBI agents impersonating Islamist extremists to plant a bomb (dummy) in a public place. Sting operations account for 12% of the far-right extremist incidents and 10.5% of the far-left extremist incidents. My interpretation of this data is that there could be 4x more law enforcement effort devoted to Islamist extremists, including paid informants, undercover sting operations, surveillance, etc.

I understand that the U S Government does not label domestic extremist groups as terrorist organizations. If someone, such as Dylan Roof perhaps, is radicalized by one or more of them, he might be convicted of murder and hate crimes and sentenced to death, but not be charged with terrorism. Roof shot nine churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina in 2015.

On the other hand, foreign groups, including those with Islamist extremist ideologies, are readily identified as terrorist organizations by the U. S. Government.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has identified 1,360 Patriot groups and 1,007 hate groups. They maintain an internet "Hate Counter" with which individuals may self-report incidents in which they feel that they have been subjected to hate speech or acts of intimidation. In the 3 months since the election of Donald Trump SPLC counted 1,372 hate incidents.

http://apps.revealnews.org/homegrown-terror

I'm not aware of any conspiracy. Bannon was "fired," because he talked to Wolff, but he's still in contact with Trump as far as I know, and certainly with Miller, Spencer at al, who all have Trump's ear. Spencer is heavily involved in immigrant issues. They're all despicable.
    So rid ourselves of Trump, and all will be well? I think Williamsmith was correct in observing that Trump is more symptom than disease. The dark forces on the right (and the left as well, not that they would ever admit it) that brought him to power are still there and potent.

I don’t see our current situation as a struggle between darkness and light. I see it as a struggle between two opposing forms of self-righteous idiocy.

So rid ourselves of Trump, and all will be well? I think Williamsmith was correct in observing that Trump is more symptom than disease. The dark forces on the right (and the left as well, not that they would ever admit it) that brought him to power are still there and potent.
    +1

I don’t see our current situation as a struggle between darkness and light. I see it as a struggle between two opposing forms of self-righteous idiocy.
    I agree he's a symptom, but he's such a vile caricature that dragging him offstage with a big hook would surely produce a huge sigh of relief from civilized people everywhere.

Thread Information