Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone calls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phone calls

Recently getting phone calls where the caller id shows MY NAME AND PHONE NUMBER. I called the phone company and they said this is phishing. No kidding. No other help or suggestions.

Is this on your cell phone?

Wire-line phone or wireless?

For wire-line phones, there is nothing much that can be done, at least not right now. It is very easy to "spoof" a phone number if you have access to the right systems. Kind of like having your email address forged by spammers.

For wireless (cellular) phones, there are more options/workarounds. If you're on a wireless phone, let me know and I'll post them.

This is an issue telecomm companies are going to have to handle soon. I've seen estimates that in just a few years, 70-80% of all phone calls made are going to be junk calls like these. Obviously, if the phone rings and eight times out of ten it's nothing of interest to you, your willingness to pay for phone service will diminish greatly. So it is in the telecomm companies' interest to figure out how to manage the onslaught, much the same way email providers finally figured out how to minimize spam (or at least prevent floods of it from showing up in your inbox). I think they will figure it out. It just won't happen right away.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    They should set it up so you have to type in the numbers that are allowed to call you. I am getting junk voice mail I have to clear out.

P. S.

Yppej:

Is there a limit on the numbers that one can allow to call? My wonderful Century Tel land line allows me to "block numbers" in a certain plan, but I think it is limited to 10 numbers... not much help, in my opinion.

I got a couple of calls like that today. It would be a better attempt to conceal the identity if it was my wife home alone rather than lil old me.

It came in on a wire line.

The second time curiosity got the better of me, so I picked up. It turned out to be (har-har-har) a very nice young woman "from Microsoft" with a warning that my computer's registry was all compromised, and I was vulnerable to attack. Then she said I could hold the line for "technician" who could help me.

Actually I have a leek in my refrigerator. I should have asked the technician what to do about that. "It stays crisper in the crisper."

Actually I suspect that the nice lady is just a synthesized voice.

Yppej
    I do not have the ability to block calls on my phone. What I am envisaging is a phone that only allows in calls from a permitted list. I know there are "call me" phones that can only call one number. Some parents give them to their kids and they can only call the parent. I would like a mirror technology where only numbers you approve can call you, and any number not on the list is blocked.

If a call comes on my cell and the name doesn't come up (i.e.it isn't in my contact list) I just ignore or decline it. If I don't know who it is, I don't respond.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    If a call comes on my cell and the name doesn't come up (i.e.it isn't in my contact list) I just ignore or decline it. If I don't know who it is, I don't respond.
    But then the problem is that even with blocking their number, some are able to still leave a voice mail message. I'd like to turn off my voice mail system but my Samsung phone doesn't allow that. I'm getting inundated by "empty" voice mail message notices which I believe are auto-calls from political parties. Ugh.

I recently made the mistake of leaving my cell number on a insurance quote for the church. Dang it. I immediately started receiving calls, probably 100 a day. It's tapered off a bit but you can tell when my number gets sold to another list. I can only block out 100 numbers on my samsung and I've had to clear and restart twice so far.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information