Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PBS: How these penny-pinchers retired in their 30s

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Do you think retired means one still works for income? Curious about perceptions.
    There's nothing wrong with others paying (or bartering with) you for a skill you have. You do have to be comfortable with that arrangement. Often I'll do something for free because we're not talking large sums of money lost and that way I maintain control over my availability/time commitment.

I think the definition of retirement has changed over the past couple of decades. Back when most people lived to only to their 60s or maybe 70s, retirement typically meant being old enough to do little more than rest or do non-strenuous activities. Now people are retiring in their 50s and most can expect another 20-30 years of activity before having to slow down. That's a lot of time to kill and really can put some pressure on retirement savings. So doing something different or concentrating on a subset of your previous career makes sense and, apparently, seems like a good idea to many people.

DW plans to retire in the next two years and wants to start her own business doing a subset of what she does now (the part of her job she finds the most interesting and rewarding). Her goal is to occupy some hours (the hours not spent with me or family or hobbies) and make enough money for traveling and luxuries, so it won't be a 40-hour-a-week slog. It may not even be a 20-hour-a-week deal. I'll be the back office (billing, IT, etc.). We'll learn more as she gets into it. We'll be barely 60; plenty of time left to enjoy life.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I also agree that "retired" doesn't have to mean you never work. I'm thinking about our friend, a fire fighter, who retired from the fire department at age 45 and then took up masonry as a second career. That's fairly common for people in that type of public service.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I find it inspiring that many people have found a way to use their time meaningfully! They are making a difference for others too. We need more people who are pursuing their passions.

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
    I find it inspiring that many people have found a way to use their time meaningfully! They are making a difference for others too. We need more people who are pursuing their passions.
    I absolutely agree!

I have been thinking a lot lately about meaning in life. I really enjoy learning about how others construct a meaningful life for themselves -- especially in the simpler ways.

Thread Information