Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screamed at in Whole Foods parking lot for where I parked

Screamed at in Whole Foods parking lot for where I parked

I was at WF Sunday for something specific. They have spots for electric cars and then spaces for fuel efficient cars. I drive a Focus. So I parked in the fuel efficient spot. As I was unlocking my car a soccer-mom looking type in an SUV stopped right behind my car and started screaming at me. She had a major issue with the fact I was driving “only” a gas powered car and dared to park in the spot I took when she’s driving a hybrid SUV and her vehicle is more fuel efficient than mine!.

My response? I laughed, told her to F off and get a life. She drove off in a huff.

Wow.. Yeah, she should get a life.

I do have to say that when I used to drive DH to a local medical clinic for a regular outpatient procedure, they had similar parking spaces for fuel-efficient cars. I drive a Prius, and I can't tell you how often I couldn't park there because of the big gas-guzzling cars sitting in the spots. Grrr.. Frankly, a couple of times I almost left notes. It does sound like a petty thing, but it would really annoy me.

I think that because your Focus is a small, relatively fuel-efficient car, I probably wouldn't have even noticed your car. But, strictly speaking, I do think those spaces are for hybrids and electrics. If they were for any small cars, they'd have to save a LOT more spaces in the parking lot!

ETA: I just looked up the mpg of various hybrids, and I don't consider hybrid SUVs to be that great. Maybe vs standard SUVs, but I'm quite sure that your Focus gets better gas mileage than 27-28mpg. My Prius gets 47-50mpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My Focus gets about 35 mpg.

If they want only hybrids to park in those spots, then it should specify that on the sign. There are separate spots for electric vehicles, complete with chargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    My Focus gets about 35 mpg.

If they want only hybrids to park in those spots, then it should specify that on the sign.
    I agree. The sign is very ambiguous.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow.. Yeah, she should get a life.

I do have to say that when I used to drive DH to a local medical clinic for a regular outpatient procedure, they had similar parking spaces for fuel-efficient cars. I drive a Prius, and I can't tell you how often I couldn't park there because of the big gas-guzzling cars sitting in the spots. Grrr.. Frankly, a couple of times I almost left notes. It does sound like a petty thing, but it would really annoy me.

I think that because your Focus is a small, relatively fuel-efficient car, I probably wouldn't have even noticed your car. But, strictly speaking, I do think those spaces are for hybrids and electrics. If they were for any small cars, they'd have to save a LOT more spaces in the parking lot!

ETA: I just looked up the mpg of various hybrids, and I don't consider hybrid SUVs to be that great. Maybe vs standard SUVs, but I'm quite sure that your Focus gets better gas mileage than 27-28mpg. My Prius gets 47-50mpg
    Your Prius gets 47-50 mpg? That’s friggin fantastic!

My Civic with its regular engine gets 35-40 and lets me know continuously so I can figure out the sweet spot for good mileage,

My Mini Cooper seems to reliably get 35-40mpg on the highway, ~30 or so in the city. I think I put gas in it every couple of months.

DD gave me a bit of advice that has worked like a charm in situations like this. She advised to just blow them a kiss rather than engaging them in further heated discussion

Our Kia Niro hybrid gets, on average, 47-53 mpg. We love it!

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    But, strictly speaking, I do think those spaces are for hybrids and electrics.
    I park my Jetta diesel in those spots. 40-44 mpg around town; mid-50s on the highway? I don't need two motors.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information