Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Screamed at in Whole Foods parking lot for where I parked

We don't have those kinds of signs around here, at least not that I've seen. Why even have them? It's not like the signs for pregnant women, who may have a legitimate need for a space close to the doors. And none of these special parking spaces are remotely like the handicapped parking spaces, where it is against the law to park in them if you don't have the appropriate placard/sticker.

I highly doubt a store will ban you if you park in one of those spaces with the "wrong" kind of car. So I don't understand why someone would get so upset to the point of screaming at another person for parking there.

I have to admit I see those signs as suggestions, not orders. If it's pouring rain and there's an empty spot close to the door that isn't a handicapped spot, I'm taking it. No matter what sign the store management may have seen fit to put there.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post
    I have to admit I see those signs as suggestions, not orders. If it's pouring rain and there's an empty spot close to the door that isn't a handicapped spot, I'm taking it. No matter what sign the store management may have seen fit to put there.
    Those signs/policies are an attempt to offer a benefit for what is considered (by at least some) a collective good (polluting less per mile; having offspring). One can decide that they agree with the intent or decide to consider it a "personal virtue".

In some places here I do see signs for "Compact cars only". People apparently have a very vague idea of how big their vehicles are, if the number of pickups and Chryslers I see in those spots are any indication. But they designate those spaces not because they think people should drive smaller cars but because larger parked vehicles make it difficult for everyone to negotiate the parking area. It's not the same as restricting parking spots to high-mpg or low-emissions vehicles and the rule doesn't have the teeth of handicapped-parking spots but it's more than a suggestion and probably should not be regarded as a "personal virtue".
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information