Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Frugals

That makes sense Steve. I don't really do holiday shopping anymore, so I'm happy to say the season is barely on my radar.

IL: Can you bring wine? Going out to lunch is no good without wine.

Yppej: I know what you mean. I find myself almost hoping for the next recession so I can get work done on our house.

We stopped exchanging gifts with most people so I only buy a few. I also gave up all the baking, etc. I usually cook on xmas day and invite people over. They bring desert and wine, etc. So really an easy affair.

Yppej
    My mother has diabetic feet so I got her a gift certificate to a specialty shoe store. They had some beautiful boots but I did not buy any for myself. The pair I liked best was $130.00 and to me that is a lot for something (red, cowboy) that may be out of style by the following winter.

Dive season is now over until the quarry opens up in early April. I’m frugal in the winter as pretty much all I do is work, work out, read, and church activities.

I’ve been having issues with the sidemount (tanks on sides, not back) configuration I took up this year in preparation for more advanced diving a couple of years in the future. I took that up as it’s easier on my knees. However, it’s a pain on the boat and that’s where I will be doing most of my diving. I decided to try backmount, 2 tanks on back. Heavier, but I’m working hard to get in shape and my knees are feeling better. I’m using tanks and other gear I already had. Just needed the crossbar to connect the two tanks together, a different wing (air bladder for buoyancy), and the steel bands to put around tanks and hold them to backplate. An online friend is giving me the first two, saving me at least $400 over buying used and $700 over buying new. It’s older model, but still in good shape. I love FREE. I’m buying the tank bands used for $40. New would be $140. So even if the backmounted doubles don’t work work, I’m only into it for $40 and whatever my dive shop charges me to double the tanks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My mother has diabetic feet so I got her a gift certificate to a specialty shoe store. They had some beautiful boots but I did not buy any for myself. The pair I liked best was $130.00 and to me that is a lot for something (red, cowboy) that may be out of style by the following winter.
    I had a pair of red cowboy boots for years. If you love them, buy them and wear them; cowboy boots are absolutely classic, and life is short.

Yppej
    They had a small heel and in winter I feel like flat Timberlands would be sturdier/more practical, just as stylish, and a little cheaper, so if I do get another pair of boots that's what I would likely go for, but I already have 6 pairs of boots.

I've wanted to get back in to a yoga practice. My gym membership includes two or three classes but they're at 7:30 pm for an hour. Just not convenient for me, as I can't eat a full dinner beforehand, and definitely not after either! Anyway, we have a smart tv, and last night I found a way to stream yoga sessions on the tv! (I'm not big on watching tv, and don't make time to explore any features) When dh came home and had to step around me, my yoga mat and the two out of three dogs that felt mamma on the floor meant snuggles - I told him I just saved us $10 a pop - the cost of each class at another gym, which I was signing up for this week!

Yppej
    Finally got my garbage disposal replaced after it being broken 2+ years. I used a connection to score a free unit but did pay for labor. I also wanted the broken bathroom sink stopper fixed but the plumber told my son who was home another part was needed and "I'm not going to charge you $85.00 an hour to walk around Home Depot looking for it." No one checked with me, so I guess I can't claim that frugal, but there it is.

My blender, a good, solid Oster model, had a cheap plastic jug that was getting worn, stained, and cloudy. I contacted the manufacturer and was able to buy a glass replacement jug for about $20 that fits perfectly. It looks so much better now, is nicer to handle, and makes me happy I didn't just pitch the whole thing.

Yppej
    Although some of it is not the healthiest I have been eating free food at work. What's left over from meetings is first come first serve.

Thread Information