Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: November Frugals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yppej

November Frugals

My son cleaned out his room some more, and I now have probably 100 cans each of green and yellow beans. This will be my new lunch staple since I am almost through the 33 packages of frozen mixed vegetables I bought on sale.

Tip to grandparents: giving healthy food to kids doesn't ensure they eat it.

100 cans each, 200 cans total? That's a lot, I'm guessing you're going to get tired of those beans long before they're gone.
    There's usually food drives starting around this time of year, so if it hasn't already crossed your mind, I'd be thinking about donating some of those.

Yppej
    I do not think the food drives will take them. He was storing them in the attic. I cleaned off the tops, but some have dust under the pull tabs I could not remove. Some are dented, some expired.

Our food bank will take dusty and dented - we put them on the “take whatever you want” table and they go.

we will take expired for the same table if it was the last month. High acid foods a little longer.

you could ask.

I always try to get a useful/functional gift for extended family and friends for Christmas. Last year everyone got a small but powerful flashlight that turned out very well. (people ended up using them and were very surprised at how well they functioned in their various situations). Happy to say that I have already gotten this year's gifts for all and at a very reasonable price. Oh, the item is Mens and Womens faux sherpa lined, non-skid slipper socks. Very few gifts left to come up with so I'm actually looking forward to other aspects of the holidays.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Now that temps are cooler and odors aren't magnified as much I am going to try following If it's yellow let it mellow. This will only be at home.

I have found my inexpensive individual presents for co-workers and my leadership team members - chocolate foil ornaments for all staff (if you don't want to eat them they're still pretty....) and "million dollar" chocolate bars for our leadership team, because I think we're all worth it! DH will pick something he wants from Harbor Freight or the local hardware store. I have some stuff DD collects to give her, and will also give her some cash to put towards expenses or whatever. I have some small specialty food items for our second child that they would not get for theirself, and will also give them some gift cards or cash - probably cards for groceries and/or gas. I always go in with my sister to buy a gift card for our brother, and his wife is part of our "girls trips/no presents" brigade. So - that part of the holiday is taken care of, for reasonable amounts of money! Our mortgage will be done by year's end, so I can concentrate that money towards savings/paying off the credit that we ended up needing this summer. Hopefully that will be paid off in January and we can look forward to a better year in 2019!

Yppej
    With the time change I am weaning off my coffee, and started by having tea in the morning at home instead of the bottles of expensive Starbucks I was drinking. For now I will still have my second coffee free at work and then another tea at noon from my supply (a box for $2.50). I will also be finishing up the almond milk and not buying more. This will be a virtuous triangle - less expense, fewer processed foods with their packaging, and a lighter load of groceries to haul in the house during inclement winter weather.

Williamsmith
    Since I began reacquiring a collection of vintage vinyl records, I’ve gotten into the habit of visiting roadside yard and garage sales. Most of the stuff there is what ends up in hoarders houses that survivors have to throw out or liquidate. But I find some cheap vinyl on occasion.

By this time of the year its unsual to see any sales due to the inclement weather. Yesterday I found a guy with a Bose Acoustimass sound system out for sale. These are small 3. 1/2 inch cubes for tweeters and a bass woofer that takes up very little space and appeals to the minimalist in me. They were pretty filthy so I had my doubts. He sold the system plus a Bose surround speaker to me for $5.

I got them home, cleaned them up with some simply green and warm soapy water and hooked them up to my receiver. They are performing nicely. Aretha Franklin’s “Lady Soul” is spinning as I write. “You make me feel like a natural woman!”

All for the price of two large French vanilla cappuccinos at Tim Hortons.

Nice score, Williamsmith!

Thread Information