Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: November Frugals

Everyone is doing great!
    I am all in for November
    --Loblaws yesterday (this I didn't NEED but oh heck what is life without treats!)
    Halloween individual wrapped OH Henry and Kit Kats for $.30 a 100gm. That worked out to about
    $1.40 I think a lb not to be beat. I bought all they had which came to $10.00 I will put a lot of
    the Kit Kat away as a Christmas gift for Grandson and share the Oh Henry with Dd.
    Also, 2 boxes of 24 of small chip bags for $2.94 each ($.13 a bag) Yummy treats!
    --Dd picked me up a nice large Canary Melon on the mark down for $2.50 I had never had one and it is
    delicious. And, 8 bunches of green onions for $2.50 and I am eating/cooking with some fresh and freezing the rest.
    --I have been freezing all good bits from vegetables and using them in bone broth or making veggie broth.
    --I am down to needing to lose only 10 more lbs so eating very well....surprising how eating less and well can still
    cost less if you are careful.
    --Sold 2 more items this week on Facebook for a total of $45.00..it has been adding up.

I WANT NOT NEED a new dishwasher mine has bit the dust. So will spend some time researching.
    Anyone have any suggestions for a good one? I always go with not the highest end but, not the cheapest either.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith
    Bose Acoustimass sound system [for $5]
    Score! Not personally a fan of the "Bose sound" but that is a steal for a system of that caliber, even if it did require a little time for cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by danna View Post
    I WANT NOT NEED a new dishwasher mine has bit the dust. So will spend some time researching. Anyone have any suggestions for a good one? I always go with not the highest end but, not the cheapest either.
    If there is local service available for it, I recommend ASKO. It's a Swedish company, now owned by Gorenje, which has a good reputation for reliable appliances. My last ASKO went 13 years before it was beyond economic repair (we live in a hard-water area). When I shopped, I looked at Miele and Bosch as well as ASKO; the Miele, frankly, underwhelmed me with the qualilty of its baskets and trim for the $$$$ they cost; I've had Bosch DWs in the past and they worked well, but our kids have had a mid-line Bosch for about a year now and the handle is cracked, the baskets kind of rumble when they're moved in and out, and it just seems ... worn. The ASKO can do almost every load with no more than four gallons of water, plastic items come out dry unless there's a well on them that collects water (I don't use heated dry; this is a complaint I see frequently about Bosch and see with our kids' DW), it's quiet enough that I don't hear it in the next (open) room -- and the best part is that my low-end ASKO didn't cost more than I would have spent on a Bosch or even a Maytag or higher-line GE. Works for me...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Off to Walgreens today for their Senior Day discount. It's 20% off all regularly priced merchandise. Not a huge deal, but can save a bit if you're needing to stock up on vitamins or cold/flu items.

We just had a new GE dishwasher installed...the 6 year old Kitchen Aid's control panel died and the cost to repair was about the same as this dishwasher, the store would credit us with the service call which paid for a 5 year warranty...and it was $100 off retail so we just went with them. Installation added $150- so the new one cost less than the 6 year old one....and we have 5 years with no worries. Model GDT695sgjww GE. $599.95 plus warranty and installation.

I made a couple of small purchases on Amazon yesterday, and they are offering free shipping with no minimum purchase amount. I don't know why, or how long the offer is in effect, but FYI in case that is helpful info. for anyone. I don't have prime and I usually wait on ordering something until I can hit the minimum for free shipping.

Yppej
    I have tried three plumbers with no luck, so have not been spending money on home repairs. With a strong economy they don't want to bother with little jobs.

I also am working at reducing grocery expenditures. My maximum spending is during weeks there are items I want to stock up on, and each stockup week I have a goal to spend less than during the previous stockup week. Regular weeks are less - last week was $43.

We've spent 1/2 the $ we did in the prior 30 day cycle. No idea why since this includes our day to day expenses of our ocean vacation. But heck, I'll take it! Another entire paycheck cycle goes into savings.

It's a remarkable life, this mindful spending simple living lifestyle!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I made a couple of small purchases on Amazon yesterday, and they are offering free shipping with no minimum purchase amount. I don't know why, or how long the offer is in effect, but FYI in case that is helpful info. for anyone.
    Because holiday season. Good time to stock up on items which are well-priced at Amazon (or Target or other vendors offering free shipping) but are expensive once shipping is added in.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We attended the Hermann senior citizen center lunch for the first time, cost:$4 each person

Big lunch served cafeteria style on real plates with real,p cutlery in a beautiful new facility sitting high on a hill with great views. Building was designed by our architect and neighbor. Lunch served M-F.

This facility hosts Bingo and a few other activities during the week. It has a small, nicely equipped gym downstairs which one can use thru membership of a daily fee. I hate Bingo but might try other activities.

The major downside is that it is not an easily walkable destination. It is about a mile from the center of town and there are not sidewalks leading there, highway traffic.

We lost our beautiful downtown senior center due to financial issues I believe. Before I was really able to use it. Boohoo.

Thread Information