Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: November Frugals

Thanks all - it does feel good! I remember when someone here had a debt chain and cut off a link at specified $ paid down - and I remember thinking, OMG, I would NEVER get to the end of the chain, but we did! I'm not too stressed about the cc, since that was what we have credit for - times when we just can't /won't pony up the cash. And next summer we may take out a small equity loan to do some things we have been putting off forever and are now unable to do ourselves (more insulation, fix the kitchen roof/ceiling/floor, run electric to the barn).

Way to go you guys - I also love tea (and coffee!) but we are using down our stash. I figure we'll be through it by 2025, lol.... sweetana3, good buys! Joann's is a rabbit hole for me, and I don't even like the quality of much of their stuff! Still, I find myself with a cart, wandering around with a glazed look on my face - oww, look at the pretty sari fabrics! Oh, those wool plaids are SO pretty - what can I make with them (I don't LIKE wool clothing!!)? Wouldn't that fabric look GREAT overdyed and used in a rug?? What IS it about that place??

rosa, we have a lot of LPs too. What a great fix! Our stereo/turntable suffered a cruel death (think aging cat with a UTI...) and I took a chance on a small suitcase portable from ALDI, of all places, for $35. So far it's been great, plays all speeds ( I can listen to Benny Goodman again! All of his stuff that we own is on 78s) so I'm hopeful that has fixed the problem. If not, I have another turntable stashed somewhere, and when I run across it, I'll check the belt, thanks for the idea! I wonder if a piece of that non-skid drawer or rug liner would work for a mat?

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    I wonder if a piece of that non-skid drawer or rug liner would work for a [turntable] mat?
    I'd be leery of any material which would either attract or hold on to dust. The most widely found materials for most commercial turntable mats are rubber/neoprene, cork, and felt. The last two should be easy to find in sizes suitable for a turntable. But watch the thickness of the new material -- it should be very close to the thickness of the old mat. A big variance and the stylus won't ride properly in the groove, hurting the sound and possibly even the vinyl.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have a turkey carcass simmering (or whatever it does) in the Crockpot with veggies to make stock for soup. This is epic folks - me - I put this together and not DH. If it actually comes out OK, I will be so pleased with myself.

Yppej
    This is my hibernation time of year when I do not want to go out and spend money, but I did make it to the library for another batch of books.

I checked my Social Security statement and I have more than made up the amount I lost when laid off in projected monthly benefits, but it did not move the needle much from 70 as when I can retire based on my current spending, so I need to stay on the frugal path.

Ordered my son a Christmas present from LL bean using the LL bean gift certificate my parents gave me last Christmas. This yielded a 10 dollar gift card which I applied on a pair of LL bean slippers for my mom, with balance going on the same gift certificate from my parents. This will yield another 10 dollar gift card which I will use to buy my dad a pair of slippers, which will take the rest of the balance of the gift certificate.

It was a big gift certificate, unusually big for them. My husband spent his the first month, but I held onto mine since they fell and went into nursing home and I couldn't bring myself to spend it, knowing it would be the last present they would ever send me. (They had forgotten my birthday for the last five years or so.)

So this will be good, to bring the gift full circle for them and for my son!

Yppej
    I was buying Magic Erasers but found some old disinfectant wipes I am going to use up instead. Olives were on sale and I stocked up on them. They are a good snack for a keto diet and I use them in salads also, plus yesterday I made tapenade.

Thread Information