Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Rules?!?!

I avoid foods when certainly allergies kick in. I am not a seafood person and am pretty sure that I failed the crustachion test with my allergist as a kid. No shellfish.
    Now I gave up a certain style of food, years ago, but in a different format, it is OK. This has to do with memories and who I used to have the food with, rather then something that others get. I gave up sheet cake (cupcakes OK to show form difference), and a relative gave up smoking.
    I gave up alcohol at 25, after choking down one Bud light on about three hours, when celebrating a friend getting his dream job with KMOX after all the bad news/shit that he had just gone through (lost wife to cancer). I never liked beer, and my drink of choice was mixed with grain alcohol. Enough friends either had DUI's or died by the time I was 20, I was becoming the guy to stay sober and be the designated driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    No ketchup on hotdogs.
    Words to live by!

I try to avoid overly processed food and therefore cook from scratch most of the time. I don't drink soda or fruit juice. I don't eat margarine or other fake butters. I don't eat soy products other than miso. I check the sugar in products and don't buy if over a certain amount. The older I get, the more I have developed a built in moderator of sweets, fats and carbs that works for me. But sometimes I indulge and enjoy bacon, steak, popcorn with butter, ice cream, hot cocoa and other delicious treats because life is short. Alcohol is kept at a level that works for me (several beers/or glasses of wine on weekends) and adds enjoyment so I continue to partake even though I hear it is really bad for us.

I wouldn't call my rules "rules"--I would call them guidelines, because I'm successful at following them all the time.

--Like others, I don't drink soda. In fact one of my pet peeves is when DH, who is always drinking Diet Pepsi, complains when we're out of it that "there's nothing to drink"! I point out that all he has to do is turn on the faucet and he'll find plenty to drink, but he just rolls his eyes.

--I eat as little meat as possible. I've gone from being vegetarian to being flexitarian because meal planning with an omnivore spouse is a PIA. So I try to do as IL does and make sure it's sustainably and humanely raised.

--I bake wherever possible, and never deep fry.

--I never eat canned soup (except for an odd Bookbinder's New England Clam Chowder)

--I limit processed food

--I always have a guilty pleasure in the way of something sweet at night while watching TV, keeping in mind that "What you resist persists."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Rule 1: I eat food when I am hungry.

Rule 2: I do not eat food when I am not hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    No ketchup on hotdogs.
    This is so wrong.

Ketchup goes on most everything.

I went off meat and dairy a couple of years ago in order to bring my cholesterol down, and after watching too many shows on the humanitarian issues around industrial animal husbandry. Subsequently I've pretty much gone off white breads and white pastas. I've enjoyed the cooking challenges and usually find the food choices appealing. I've found it difficult to stick to this, say when friend invites you for dinner and you don't want to be an inconvenience. Or your in a restaurant and the only vegan choice is a lame example of a veggie burger. I end up breaking with things one or two meals a week, but don't go off the rails too far. So in that case I guess it's not a rule, but a guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is so wrong.

Ketchup goes on most everything.
    The sign of a true Midwesterner!

I only have a few rules around food.

No cilantro. No cling peaches in heavy syrup. No pineapple on pizza. No cotton candy. For everything else, moderation. And sometimes that includes moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post

No cilantro.
    Amen, bro! It tastes like dish soap!

Thread Information