Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Purge

Took three more boxes to Goodwill yesterday. It is definitely becoming easier to let things go. If we make this move we are contemplating, I do not want to move all this stuff, and my ultimate goal is to have everything I own used and enjoyed, with nothing in boxes.

Habitat for Humanity finally came and took the 10 foot ladder and old bed. Now we have more room in the garage where the bed was stored and I no longer have to worry about the HOA getting on my case over the ladder being stored outside.

Took a TV that belonged to my mom and a box containing various items gathered up from various places in the house, including some holiday stuff I don't need, and gave it to Goodwill. Another box is in the works and going to Goodwill next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Took three more boxes to Goodwill yesterday. It is definitely becoming easier to let things go. If we make this move we are contemplating, I do not want to move all this stuff, and my ultimate goal is to have everything I own used and enjoyed, with nothing in boxes.
    I am finding it easier to let things go as well. A couple of the items that were in the last Goodwill run contained some items I would have never thought of getting rid of years ago.

DH and I are also contemplating a move, but haven't settled on where where it's going to be yet. All we know is that we really don't want to retire in our current home. DH is about 18 months away from retirement and could retire earlier if things get too stupid at work, but I have a few more years to go.

You guys are making good progress. S, thrift stores will come with a truck if you have a bunch of stuff. We have done that. My Husband bought some perishables that we will never eat all of it in time and I have a bunch of canned stuff we haven’t eaten so I am taking it to a soup kitchen today and another bag of clothes for the thrift stores. I don’t have anything stored in boxes anymore. DH is a different matter)

Yppej
    I threw out a bunch of papers last night while trying to find a receipt. Nothing motivates me like the frustration of sorting through irrelevant junk to find what I need.

Paper has a way of building up. I declutter it a few times a year. I also open the mail everyday and discard immediately what isn’t needed.

Yppej
    A bunch of plastic bags that were stored under the kitchen sink. I had to empty out that area so the garbage disposal could be replaced. I am still keeping maybe the same number as sometimes I use them.

This weekend I purged 1 fleece pullover, 1 book, and a wooden chest. The chest was difficult because my dad made it for me when I was a kid and it was the place where I once stored all my treasures and mementos. Unfortunately, it is rather large and had gotten wet in basement floods and had just been hanging out mustily under the workbench for some years now, so it was time to go.
    I need to make space in the cellar because my husband wants to grow some plants down there with um, special medicinal properties, now that it is legal to do so.

Yppej
    Several of the same newspaper clipping of me and others at opening statements in the court case that devolved from the pursuit of truth, justice and the American way into a money grab by the attorneys. The Office of Bar Counsel did nothing. I guess it is like doctors, police, and other professions where they all cover for each other. I appealed but am not optimistic, so soon may be getting rid of a several foot stack of case files.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Several of the same newspaper clipping of me and others at opening statements in the court case that devolved from the pursuit of truth, justice and the American way into a money grab by the attorneys. The Office of Bar Counsel did nothing. I guess it is like doctors, police, and other professions where they all cover for each other. I appealed but am not optimistic, so soon may be getting rid of a several foot stack of case files.
    I guess that would be your silver lining at least, although I'm sorry for the disappointing outcome.

Yesterday dropped off a contractor bag full of clothes, fabric, and yarn and a picnic basket, carrom board, and child's guitar at the Goodwill. It was hard to get rid of the carrom board because I was collecting them but then I was up to three and I gave one to my son for his basement, and then I selected the one I liked the most of the two I had left. They are cool because they are made in Luddington Michigan and are pretty and local and you see them at garage sales here.

So now I am down to one, as I am trying to pick the best of something and save that, and let the others go. It helps to think that someone else will be excited to find them at the Goodwill. . .

Thread Information