Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need inexpensive bed idea for guests

Need inexpensive bed idea for guests

Out of the blue, we have guests coming for T'Giving. I need to come up with a bed for an older couple, one of whom is overweight. We have a good quality air mattress but am wondering if there is some sort of frame that it could be placed on so that it is more "bed-like" and would support their weight. We slept on it as is for several months but it bounces around a lot and sheets pop off of it so not exactly welcoming for guests. I could buy an inexpensive platform and mattress but don't anticipate a horde of visitors in the future and the room is actually DH's man cave so a permanent bed would eat up his space. And I have two weeks to figure this out. Any ideas appreciated!!

Yppej
    I would let them sleep in my bed and sleep on the couch before I would spend money on something.

In one of our guest bedrooms in Hermann we have a (free) futon, another gain From friends who moved. It is not comfortable, but it is there for the time being and u til weremodel this house. I think in the future we will get one of those high quality air mattresses.

If I were you I woild offer what I have, tell them what it is, and then let them decide to stay with you or in a motel. There is peobably an air b and b near you, another option.

Honestly, when we have guests at our city house, we give our best bedroom, our own, because it is easier than trying to shuffle guestbeds around. i sleep on the sofa or else go down the street to stay with a neighbor.

I have a double bed in my small office. I bought the mattress,box springs and frame when a store was having a huge sale. Less than 200 for everything. It probably gets used about 4-6 times a year. I like having a comfortable bed for guests.

I used to have that problem, and simply tied some cords under the air mattress to the sheets to keep them from popping off.

I agree with telling them the situation and see if they'd prefer a hotel. We are an older couple and I am overweight....might choose the air mattress but because of my dislike of staying at people's houses, I'd choose the hotel. Many others would disagree and choose the air mattress. I never give up our bedroom-

Truth be known, the whole basement is like a private guest suite with its own living area, separate bedroom and bathroom. It was being rented out when we bought the house. Logic tells me I should go ahead and fix it up with a proper bedroom...just hate spending the money for another mattress/bed since I don't anticipate having guests more than 2-3x a year..

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Truth be known, the whole basement is like a private guest suite with its own living area, separate bedroom and bathroom. It was being rented out when we bought the house. Logic tells me I should go ahead and fix it up with a proper bedroom...just hate spending the money for another mattress/bed since I don't anticipate having guests more than 2-3x a year..
    Given that, I would definitely invest in another bed for the "guest suite." I think it sounds perfect for guests, and I'd outfit it appropriately. Check out craigslist and see what you can find.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not sure what "out of the blue" caused this. My outlook:

1. If I invited them I would go buy a decent bed setup for them.
    2. They invited themselves (but you sound cool with it), let them know the situation and see if they prefer a motel or your current air mattress on the floor.

I would let them know ASAP rather than finding out last minute.

Check around: craigslist, Marketplace if you are on Facebook, NextDoor, for a bed. It always amazes me how many are for sale here, really inexpensively. Often times they will even deliver, as they are in the process of moving and have the availability of a truck.

Thread Information