Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need inexpensive bed idea for guests

I am with Gardnr. We got rid of our guest bed so it is the sofa, the large recliner, or a hotel. No one should ever invite themselves to stay with anyone without politely asking first and knowing the "lay of the land".

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    I am with Gardnr. We got rid of our guest bed so it is the sofa, the large recliner, or a hotel. No one should ever invite themselves to stay with anyone without politely asking first and knowing the "lay of the land".
    Our friend invited herself last week with 4
    hours notice, and I was busy with a plant society event. I aaid “no” because our upstairs bedrooms are not clean. She offered to stay in her camper van, but that is not safe here in the streets of Murder
    City and her camper is too damned big to pull into our garage, which is where we put other guest vehicles.

It was a NO all around but then DH got the great idea to meet up with her in Hermann, where she was close to anyway. Our house there is clean and there is no crime there, so any use of her camper is fine. It worked out well.

But now that I am thinking about overnight guests, it is about time that Swiss relatives pay a visit, a surprise, overnight visit, and our upstairs remains a shambles. We have an incontinent cat who surely cannot live much longer, so
    I would like to say NO to guests until that situation is resolved.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-4-18 at 10:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Our friend invited herself last week with 4
    hours notice, and I was busy with a plant society event. I aaid “no” because our upstairs bedrooms are not clean. She offered to stay in her camper van, but that is not safe here in the streets of Murder
    City and her camper is too damned big to pull into our garage, which is where we put other guest vehicles.

It was a NO all around but then DH got the great idea to meet up with her in Hermann, where she was close to anyway. Our house there is clean and there is no crime there, so any use of her camper is fine. It worked out well.

But now that I am thinking about overnight guests, it is about time that Swiss relatives pay a visit, a surprise, overnight visit, and our upstairs remains a shambles. We have an incontinent cat who surely cannot live much longer, so
    I would like to say NO to guests until that situation is resolved.
    "I'm sorry we've got a very old incontinent cat who is on the verge of death and we're trying not to stress her out...(pause)...it gets worse with stress if you know what I mean." Would be all I need to hear to say "Oh sure, I get it, I'll get a hotel."
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I agree with checking online on sites like NextDoor. We had a recent entry on ours where a nice queen mattress set was being given away for free from someone who just didn't want to move it.
    And if your own mattress is close to being replaced, how about getting yourselves a new mattress and putting yours into the guest room? Consider it an Xmas present to yourselves.
    Also, I don't get the big deal about hosting people once in a while. If you have the space available, and the guests don't have unusual or demanding issues and it's just for a few days, then go for it.

This is a more long term solution, probably, but many mattress retailers sell off their floor samples yearly, at reduced prices. Worth a call to mattress/furniture stores and department stores that sell mattresses to see when their sell-off happens. You might also be able to pick up a cheap frame at the same time.

Short-term, you can buy "sheet suspenders" that will hold the sheets on the air mattress. There are short ones that clip on both sides of a corner of the mattress, but I have had better luck with the longer ones that can go end to end under the mattress or even in an X shape diagonally from one corner to the other.

You could also explore the "bed in a box" mattresses that come all rolled up. Right now, on sale, Macy's has a queen mattress for $187, the box spring is $149 and a metal bed frame is $24--so a complete bed for $360. It's obviously not the world's best mattress, but it is probably at least as comfortable as the air mattress. In comparison, a good-quality airbed that is 24" tall is $299.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond today.

If you do order a mattress online, read the return policy very careful. Some online retailers will let you return a mattress, but only for store credit--you have to re-select another mattress. And sometimes they charge for every re-selection.

Of course, if you make things too comfortable for guests, there's always the risk that they will come to stay more often . . . .

If you do decide to outfit a guest bedroom, I would personally go with a couple of single beds with frames and an extra twin mattress to slide under one of the beds. The would work well for guests I get, who would probably have a grandchild or two. I also like a pull out couch so it could be in an office or sewing room or the like.

You can always find twin bed frames, really nice ones, at Habitat for Humanity . And you can buy cheap twin mattresses much more inexpensively than bigger ones.

I don't know why they make full or queen size air mattresses. They move around too much. Two twins can easily pack away in a suitcase or bag in a closet (what we offer).
    I had an expensive highest quality mattress futon and it was still uncomfortable to sit on as a sofa but very nice to sleep on. I sold it.
    A twin bed with trundle is nice to have in one room.
    My 1st son (living at home) has a queen bed but I wouldn't put anyone in his room (bit scary with all his horror movies and stuff). 2nd sons room (he's in NC) is currently a twin but I'm looking for a good deal on a full size (room is too small for a queen). We keep another twin bed in the music room. So I could put guests in our queen so they could have private access to bathroom and DH and I could take son#2's room and the music room. One of us usually end up in one of those rooms or the recliner most nights anyway.
    Even my parents usually get a hotel room when they come to visit.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I have never had someone invite themselves. I wouldn’t do anything used with upholstery anymore because of bedbugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    "I'm sorry we've got a very old incontinent cat who is on the verge of death and we're trying not to stress her out...(pause)...it gets worse with stress if you know what I mean." Would be all I need to hear to say "Oh sure, I get it, I'll get a hotel."

Haha, yes. They dont always speaka da English very well so not sure that message will get across. Language abilities depends on who all is coming over from the old country.

But yeah, good answer!

I really like the ideas here of twin beds. Eventually in our
    Hermann house I want at least one twin trundle in one of the upstairs extra rooms.

Used mattresses are just a big no, and
    I am not a picky person. We recently bought several new beds and the delivery guys carefully wrapped our old mattress in plastic before they put it in their truck. We also had to sign something that said our mattress had not been outside (am I remembering this correctly? ) anyway, the mattress delivery service takes obvious precautions against contaminants in their truck.

Yeah...I am skittish about buying used bedding otherwise I would just get something off craigslist. I like the idea of the twin beds.

Thread Information