Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes you love

Quotes you love

Anyone want to share your current favorite quotes?

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/henry_rollins_381419

"Let your life speak". Its a long time favorite.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

'The impossible just takes a little longer' was DH's favourite saying.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    With the midterms coming up I remember my dad used to say, "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is 'thank you', it will be enough.” Meister Eckhart

"Oh, earth, you are too wonderful for anyone to realize you!" Thornton Wilder (Emily, Our Town)

"Until we go beyond our notions regarding the true nature of life, we will never realize how totally secure we really are, and how all the fighting for individual survival and self-security is a waste of energy." Bernadette Roberts

"To thine own self be true." William Shakespeare

"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Henry David Thoreau

“Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion.”
    ― Thich Nhat Hanh

"The greatest learning of the ages lies in accepting life exactly as it comes to us." Anthony de Mello

"There will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

"We're all just walking each other home." Ram Dass

Williamsmith
    I have two that have accompanied me through most of my life. One is pedestrian, useful in a sort of nose to the grindstone way. The other is philosophical and more like a mantra for my life. It gets down to the real truth of living as far as I’m concerned.

Calvin Coolidge

”Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.”

I had that quote displayed prominently on my wall behind my work desk. Many a criminal sat down in front of me and failed to take that into consideration. The ones that challenged me learned about my persistence and determination the hard way.

Paul McCartney

”And in the end...the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

Yeah, a “Beatle” is the source of my life’s mantra. Fitting.

I actually have a file on my computer called favorite quotes. Many are from movies and tv...

Ed, you're dealing with the demon of external validation. You can't beat external validation. You want to know why. Because it feels sooo good. (The Green Man to Ed, Northern Exposure).

Associate yourself with men of good quality...for 'tis better to be alone than with bad company. (George Washington)

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf. (Will Rogers)

In the end there were no simple answers. No heroes. No villains. Only silence. (from the movie, Never Cry Wolf)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask...We are willing to help Lord, but what, if anything is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding. (a sermon from A River Runs Through It).
    Last edited by Rogar; 11-5-18 at 9:48pm.

I saw one today "If you raise your children you spoil your grandkids. If you spoil your children you raise your grandkids."

Besides the ones below in all my posts, I recently re-discovered this - supposedly Einstein's Theory of Happiness: A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information