Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How (in what way) do you vote?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm happy Washington followed Oregon's lead and instituted vote-by-mail. I trooped to my polling place for years; this is so much better, IMO. I don't understand the virtue in making it as hard as possible to vote--in some cases, impossible. Lines blocks long, polling places running out of ballots, non-working machines...all could be fixed with the stroke of a pen. Not everyone can get to a polling place. At this point, I'd have to request an absentee ballot.
    My friend who has all kinds of princessy habits always votes absentee. She lies, of course, to get her absentee ballot. Here, absentee ballots are for those who are unable to get to a polling place.

She is perfectly able to walk to her car, drive herself the few blocks to the polling place, and vote.

In Washington State, we are entirely vote-by-mail, and I miss the old ways.

I'm all for completely overhauling our elections-from registering (motor voter!) to national voting by mail, to getting big money and lengthy campaigning out of the system. I can kind of see the nostalgia factor, but time marches on, and usually for the better.

I think it is perfectly fine that ya’ll in WA do what you do.

i want retention of voting process by the State. States rights and all. If my state is considered “behind” —whatever. That keeps the riffraff outta here.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm all for completely overhauling our elections-from registering (motor voter!) to national voting by mail, to getting big money and lengthy campaigning out of the system. I can kind of see the nostalgia factor, but time marches on, and usually for the better.

From my vantage point, "keeping the riffraff out" means limiting or eliminating polling places in areas where poor people are likely to vote, limiting the hours polling places are open to keep poor working people from voting, employing dirty tricks like mailing misinformation to targeted voters, limiting ballot availability. changing voting rules midstream (N Dakota)...This is all clearly unconstitutional in a country where everyone eligible has the right to vote. Or do you think we should bring back poll taxes and literacy requirements? SCOTUS has already gutted the Voting Rights Act. What other states choose to do (e.g. cheat, disenfranchise) impacts all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Not yet, but the Democrats are working on it. Right now I live in a jurisdiction where voting is about as challenging as picking up my dry cleaning.
    Yeah--middle-class neighborhoods don't have the problems that regularly plague poorer ones. All my polling places have been readily accessible and nearly wait-free. I was appalled when I realized how difficult it is for so many to vote. Dodge City is one egregious example, as is North Dakota. That's why I support making the process universally vote-by-mail, a process that's difficult to game and easy to implement.

I usually vote on election day at my precinct, but this year I voted early at the election office. I used to use the computer ballots, but I've decided I don't feel comfortable with them anymore and have gone back to paper.

I remember when I first started voting, you'd go into the booth, pull a lever to close the curtain, flip the buttons next to the name you wanted and pull the lever again. It registered your vote and opened the curtain.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information