Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I think I may have gotten someone fired..........

(Deleted)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I hate that term. If you were to use it to describe my grandson I'd let you know just how much.
    Some others have had good comments, I work in schools and so to me everyone has some challenges and some strengths. However we do need to be honest so that we can support everyone. I am not airy-fairy about this, there are true challenges. If someone honestly is using outdated language but does not appear to know then I talk to them. We had a great training before summer by a DR who worked in the mayor's department concerning special needs (I can't recall the name of it). She really did a great job of helping us with person-first language, showing respect, and dealing with some of the natural awkwardness that can arise if you are not in a position to have much contact with people of different abilities.

I was fortunate to grow up with a cousin who has Down Syndrome. I have been able to have a comfort level going into my work in schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    If someone honestly is using outdated language but does not appear to know then I talk to them.
    Thank you, Zoe Girl.

The thing is I thought "MR" was okay and that the critics on here were just being overly politically correct.
    Interestingly, I never say the R word as slang, as I find it to be incredibly offensive. But I thought that the whole term "MR" was acceptable still.

It was less than 10 years ago that Ohio still had a “department of MRDD”. We always used “MR” in my work there in mental health circles from 1997-2010.

It’s hard to keep up with changes sometimes.

i work in an education-adjacent field and the term I hear the most is "cognitively challenged."

Intellectual disability is used in this area here. As for my grandson, we say he's a fantastic young man who lives with autism.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Intellectual disability is used in this area here. As for my grandson, we say he's a fantastic young man who lives with autism.
    We say Jacob is our special young man.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    Massachusetts has a state agency DMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It was less than 10 years ago that Ohio still had a “department of MRDD”. We always used “MR” in my work there in mental health circles from 1997-2010.

It’s hard to keep up with changes sometimes.
    Thank you for pointing this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Massachusetts has a state agency DMR.
    Teacher Terry better hip them to the new lingo!

Thread Information