Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I think I may have gotten someone fired..........

President Obama signed Rosa's Law in 2010 requiring the Federal Government to replace 'mentally retarded' or 'mental retardation' with 'intellectual disability' in all federal health, education and labor policy.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Massachusetts has a state agency DMR.
    That was changed to DDS nearly a decade ago.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You can’t go wrong if you use people first language. Also never use the word suffers. Some people will say Janis suffers from multiple sclerosis. No she is a person with MS. Nobody wants to be their disability. We are all people first.

UL, it’s not just “new lingo.” New terms show respect for people with disabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    UL, it’s not just “new lingo.” New terms show respect for people with disabilities.
    You know what I think shows respect to people with disabilities?
    Providing them with healthcare, meaningful work, transportation, clean housing, opportunities for social interaction, and being polite to them in conversation.

But somehow I am the a--hole here.

I dont think anyone is a problem here UL - I think our society changes quickly and it’s hard to keep up.

I heard my aunt (about 80 years old but acts young and hip like 60) say “oriental”. I cringed inside and wanted to correct her to “asian”. But then the message itself was kind and accepting so I didn’t care really. I let it go.

I think it’s all in the attitude of the person speaking. A lot can be forgiven in face to face situations, that can’t be in written places like here on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    But somehow I am the a--hole here.

I think you are upset because this is an instance where you arent right, not it matters all that much.this discussion had me learn the new term, too. Somehow I thought an acceptable term was “mentally challanged” untill this discussion. I can see how “intellectual disability” is more precise. People with mental illnesses are, technically I suppose, “mentally challanged.”

This link shows some of the issues in the discussions that lead to the adoption of the term “intellectual disability.” Even the American Psychiatric Associationi didnt adopt it until just 5 years ago.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ual-disability

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think you are upset because this is an instance where you arent right, not it matters all that much.this discussion had me learn the new term, too. Somehow I thought an acceptable term was “mentally challanged” untill this discussion. I can see how “intellectual disability” is more precise. People with mental illnesses are, technically I suppose, “mentally challanged.”

This link shows some of the issues in the discussions that lead to the adoption of the term “intellectual disability.” Even the American Psychiatric Associationi didnt adopt it until just 5 years ago.

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ual-disability
    I said earlier I am open to changing my mind. And I have.

I agree UL which I have spent many years working on. But you really have been doing antagonist lately.

Thread Information