Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I may have gotten someone fired..........

I think I may have gotten someone fired..........

I bought some groceries this morning at a certain store, because their seafood always seems so fresh. The guy in seafood is pretty ignorant and talks too much......but I tolerate it.

But today, while weighing my salmon he started in, saying "That black lady in Georgia.... (referring to Stacey Abrams who is/was running for Governor)...said that she would take all the medicare and social security money and give it to all the people in that caravan headed here." I said that couldn't be true.. He said he heard her say it, with Oprah. then he said "If I lived in Georgia, I'd take her out and shoot her!" I said "Whoa.......you can't say things like that, or you're going to lose your job!" He kept going on and on about illegals. I told him he shouldn't say things to customers who he doesn't know at all or what they might believe in. I said that it's unfortunate that both sides have gone too far, in reaction to the other side but he kept rambling. As I left the counter, he was still mumbling. I was so pissed, I went to customer service and asked for the manager. He came and I explained what this guy had said. He was very upset and said that he would definitely take care of it.....that he had no business talking like that.

So......my BP is up. While this guy was ranting, for a second I thought to myself "just smile and nod"......but I just couldn't. I hope I expressed myself well enough to him, in not liking what he was saying.

Anyhow......if he's not fired, he's going to know who told the manager, so maybe I need to find a new store with good fish?

But seriously.......you just can't spout off your beliefs like that with customers you don't even know.
    How would you have handled this situation?

I think you handled it fine. You warned him but he wouldn’t stop so you reported it. The store will lose customers with that type of behavior.

Good job not accepting this sort of behaviour!

To answer "How would you have handled this situation?" Honestly, I wasnt there, so I don't know...I think just as you have, though.

But honestly, you didn't get him fired - his own actions / mouth did.

Also, it could have been any other customer in the store who brought matters to managements attention - or your incident was the last one of many. Don't worry about it.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    To answer "How would you have handled this situation?" Honestly, I wasnt there, so I don't know...I think just as you have, though.

But honestly, you didn't get him fired - his own actions / mouth did.

Also, it could have been any other customer in the store who brought matters to managements attention - or your incident was the last one of many. Don't worry about it.
    I agree with you, lmerullo. It was indeed his mouth/actions that got him fired. Rob

Some months ago I reported here my experience with a worker at Goodwill who was making fun, openly, of a trans person. I reported him, the Goodwill management responded that they would address it, and
    I have confidence that they did. He is still working there and that is ok with me. I didnt wish nor expect him to get fired, that is Goodwill’s call.

What would I have done with the fishmonger? Probably interupted him to ask questions about the fish. I have no problem interupting yakkers who are not on point in our business transaction.

I may or may not have reported that to the management, depends on how much I value the store. If it is highly valued in my life, I would report it because I want the store to survive and yakker fishmongers are not good for their brand. But I think that here they are Union, so good luck,with moving him along.

I would have done the same; everyone should, especially in such egregious cases. (Stacey Abrams certainly never made any such statement.)

Thanks everyone. I couldn't imagine her saying anything like that, so I'm trying to find it online. But I kept saying to him "I just can't imagine she would say anything like that!", but he was insistent that he heard it. He probably heard what he wanted to hear. And saying you want to shoot someone these days is very disturbing. I think if it had been someone local who was running for election, I probably would have told the police.
    Every time I go there, he's babbling on about something, and I tolerate it. But this time it was just too much. What probably might make it worse for him is that the manager I complained to, was black.

I wonder if that isn't some manifestation of mental illness. One of the grocery stores I frequent used to have a bagger who babbled incessantly--though nothing incendiary--and I dreaded going through his line. Let's hear it for grocery delivery.

(Deleted)
    Last edited by Ultralight; 11-7-18 at 9:12pm.

Thread Information