Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just seems normal now, in the most horrible way.

Just seems normal now, in the most horrible way.

Apparently 13 are dead in a mass shooting.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/cal...ntl/index.html

What seems normal now to me is that there are quite a few very angry, mostly male and very detached humans in our midst. I was thinking about Cathy A's description of the man behind the meat counter spouting off his hatreds or my neighbor doing the same. When did we start hating each other so much and why?

Normal or not, gun violence has reached disgusting proportions.

Giffords.org is part of a movement to deal with gun violence as a preventable cause of death and debilitating injury. In the recent mid-term elections there were 129 candidates whom they endorsed based on the candidate's public statements on the issue. 88 (68%) of those candidates were victorious.

giffords.org

Speaking of the election, David Hogg, a vocal survivor of the Parkland FL shootings, told the New York Times, We know that this is the start, that it's going to be a long road.

there is a domestic violence organization in Vermont called The Project Against Violent Encounters.

http://pavebennington.org/

I really was struck by that name--I think violence is a continuum, and I want to work for peace at all levels--I think we start with how we speak to each other, how we treat each other, places like here, on the forums, or in our personal lives. If we can work to avoid violent encounters at all levels, I think this kind of gun violence will become much less common.

I think we all have a part to play in avoiding violent encounters, and from a grassroots level, can make the world less violent.

Last year we had four students expelled for behavior I would classify as “early warning signs for disassociated shooter”.

but the thing is, I don’t understand how anybody thinks that improves the situation. It’s like the skit about the damaged oil tanker that was “towed out of the environment”.

It is kinda normalized for me now, I am not sure if that is a horrible thing to share but it is honest. I work close to Columbine HS and my daughter was at the Aurora Theater shooting, so I am reasonably close to a couple big ones. I still strongly believe in doing some deep research on this, looking for ways to build community, and being honest about gun laws. It will still take a lot of time but we are making moves this week at least.

Make no mistake, this is normal America now. It will take a lot to affect this.

CL, too bad the students weren’t offered mental health services. I don’t know what it is going to take for this country to wake up and follow the lead of other countries that don’t have this problem. So sad.

I don’t know what happened to them. We don’t offer “mental health services”

i know at least one was told that if he saw a qualified psychiatric counselor and we were allowed to speak to the counselor about our concerns and the counselor cleared him to return, he could come back. But he never came back.

i know one parent threatened to sue us. Because we got law enforcement involved. I don’t know if we were sued.

The school should have given their parents referrals to mental health resources. The school counselor should see this as part of her job or another employee if you don’t have a counselor.

It is so normal I think most people just skim over the headlines and don't give it a second thought.

Thread Information