Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just seems normal now, in the most horrible way.

It is standard procedure to have services available. We just had a training by our safety and security who explained the whole process from active shooter scenarios all the day down to early evaluation and prevention in elementary school. In our district it is very relevant (home to more than one shooting). There are teams who are getting more trained all the time and resources that are always trying to keep up. CL are you in a public school?

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Speaking of the election, David Hogg, a vocal survivor of the Parkland FL shootings, told the New York Times, We know that this is the start, that it's going to be a long road.
    But it's a good, strong start!

CL, works in a private school.

My friends are very worried about the shootings and worry about their grandchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    It is standard procedure to have services available. We just had a training by our safety and security who explained the whole process from active shooter scenarios all the day down to early evaluation and prevention in elementary school.
    That seems to also be the case in the public school districts in this county.

Actually, legally we aren’t a school at all. Legally all of our students are homeschooled and their parents have full responsibility for their education. Legally attending our classes is exactly the same as attending a swim class at the ymca - you can call it gym on your records, but it’s not “school”.

and legally we are just as qualified and entitled to offer mental health referrals as your average ymca swim program.

we have a counselor. I believe she has some professional training and credentials. My personal opinion is that she is very qualified to handle paperwork. We had a history teacher who was amazing with the kids. After she finished her MS she moved on to a non-poverty level job with health care. She still comes by a couple hours a month to help with a program she started and kids wait for her in the hall before and after.

Thank you CL, I am impressed you have a counselor considering your school status. You have the primary purpose of being safe for all the students who are attending, and if a child is too much for what you offer then I agree it is responsible to not allow them to attend.

Also anyone is able to call in a social services report and then it can be followed up on. I know I have made a fair number of calls and they do offer the families support, counseling, services etc. Social services is not there to just take kids, I have only had one student who was removed and then step-dad went to jail so it was more than justified. My point is that all of us reading are able to make a social services report, not just those who are mandated reporters. You can also make concern calls to a school district if you know they are enrolled. This is information to share, and can really make a difference if you have a child you are concerned about being homicidal or suicidal or on that track.

This country has many good things about it, but lately, I've begun to be disgusted about it. The good of the whole is no longer important.

Well, let’s see. This was in CA, which has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. There is registration for all firearms. The guy supposedly had a .45 caliber Glock handgun with an extended mag. I believe high cap mags of any sort are illegal in CA.

He was interviewed by a police crisis intervention team and they determined it was not necessary to hold him in a mental health facility in April.

We have worked with public services before.

one kid ended up being an astonishing success story. I still feel happy every time I see him in the hall. (Dad went to rehab. Then we gave dad a job, which he used to get a better job 2 years later.)

Thread Information