Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: size and weight

size and weight

There is such a wide difference (at least in my friends) of size and weight. I was with a friend who said her weight is fluctuating from 163 to 167. She is likely 5'5". She said her clothes are size 16. I think standing side by side we would love markedly different in size. My heaviest was 163, at 5'3" and my top size was a 10. I am under 150 now (145 for the past week) and I am at a size 6 overall. I have had this before, being the exact same height and pant size and being 10 lbs heavier than the other person. I guess I am just dense? My DR has never commented on my weight even at my heaviest,

Just weird,

My dd1 is like you - she is two inches shorter and ten pounds heavier than I am and solid. Her pants are smaller, but we wear the same size shirt. Part of it is cut too - I wear very “boy cut” clothes, because I have a less curvy body - she needs pants with some rear to them and has a little waist, and those shirts fit very differently on us.

also, it matters what clothes you buy - higher cost/quality clothing often has “vanity sizing” with smaller numbers on the same size. My clothes that fit right now range from an 8 to a 14.

Clothing cut matters, body shape matters, muscle density matters (muscle weighs more than fat),...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

CL did your DD start sports early? I started running at 12. I recall it was impossible to get socks because there were only knee socks. My calves were muscled so they didnt fit. It coul d just be my family too, no matter what my brother did he didn't break a bone. Pretty solid

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    CL did your DD start sports early? I started running at 12. I recall it was impossible to get socks because there were only knee socks. My calves were muscled so they didnt fit. It coul d just be my family too, no matter what my brother did he didn't break a bone. Pretty solid
    Don't you remember the little ankle socks with the pom poms on the back? We could only wear the ones that matched our nike running shoes for track or we had to fold a certain way the taller socks so the colored stripes were just above our ankles. I don't remember how well we placed in any track events but I know we were fashionable! Ha!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Don't you remember the little ankle socks with the pom poms on the back? We could only wear the ones that matched our nike running shoes for track or we had to fold a certain way the taller socks so the colored stripes were just above our ankles. I don't remember how well we placed in any track events but I know we were fashionable! Ha!
    Oh yes those, I can't recall when they started making those? I was born in 66, starting running then in 77/78? I think I had those for running but in other cases I was not 'allowed' to wear them, maybe winter or anything other than an actual practice or race. I just recall little thing like not being allowed to roll down my socks or part my hair on the side instead of the middle, or wear clothes that I picked out more than my mother. So maybe more socks existed and they were just on the 'no list'.

Body types are different and bone density/muscle density matters. My freshman year of college a roommate wanted to borrow a pair of pants. She came over to my room and couldn't zip them up. She asked what I weighed. I was 148 and she was 122.

Pom Pom socks!

dd “played” soccer at three. She switched to swimming at 7. Added cross country and track at 14, and at 15 dropped swimming and picked up lacross for the rest of high school. she rowed for a semester in college but didn’t have enough time to continue. The baby swam at 5, did two years of gymnastics, started running at 12, and kept up with swimming and running. She still competes at 22. The boy played soccer, swam and ran but was never competitive. He is long and lean and broke 2 bones growing up. I now want to weigh him and take all three for bone density scans - lol!

I was googling everything of course, and I found something that compares waist to hip size instead of weight for evaluation. I know my waist to hip ratio says I could lose weight, however it seems a better evaluation than just weight. Literally standing next to my friend there is no way anyone would think we were the same weight. We used to always say it was boobs, then my friend who is similar had a double mastectomy and so we discovered it was not boob weight.

The waist to hip thing makes sense to me. My girls are hourglasses, but the weight they carry low is mostly solid. You can tell just by watching them for a few minutes that they are active and healthy.

meanwhile, I, who am taller than both, weigh less and am shaped like a pear (the blocky green kind.) I get winded and my joint hurt, and when you look at me, you can tell I need more exercise. If I were in shape, i’d be built more like my boy. (Carrot instead of pear) Also, isn’t it the interabdominal fat that is the worst for you?

Thread Information