Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firsts

Firsts

Thursday was my daughter's birthday, and since we're still up here in VT, I was able to ask her for a little time to do something "mother/daughter." She picked manicures. I am 66 and have never had a manicure in my entire life. Like Al Gore and Anderson Cooper, I'm an adult nail-biter and always have been. Unfortunately, I passed that habit along to all four of my children.

So, I've always been mortified at the thought of a manicure. But getting older has its perks, one being that I care less about what people think, so she and I went and got acrylics! Talk about putting lipstick on a pig! But I'm hoping that maybe it helps me break the habit.

Another late in life "first" for me was buying myself a bottle of wine--I was 52 years old when I first bought myself a bottle of wine. Fortunately or unfortunately that wasn't the last time

Anyone want to share a late "first"? Or an early "first"?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I didnt buy upholstered furniture until I was well over 40 years old.

I havent had manicures either.I bite my nails, but they are just short, not ragged. With My hands in the dirt all the time it it’s best this way anyway. Actually, this just occurred to me that I haven’t bitten off my nails in a long time and I think it’s because now that I am old, they grow very slowly.

My first manicure was 10 years ago. I get them right before going on a cruise. I get the gel polish because it lasts a long time. However, if you do it constantly it ruins your nails.

Yppej
    My first pedicure was this year, and also my first yoga lesson. I would like to try parasailing and tai chi.

My first under-wire bra at age 60 - not that it makes a big difference - ROFLOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Well I have still never gotten a manicure or a pedicure, but I was much more precocious in the alcohol procurement realm. I can go back to the days of hanging out around the corner from the packy asking passing adults if they would buy for us, probably about 15 years old. The wine at the time was Boone's Farm, and I can get queasy just thinking about it.

ETA: I guess that doesn't quite qualify as buying a bottle of wine myself though; I definitely had help.

Went to a movie theater alone at age 50 for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Well I have still never gotten a manicure or a pedicure, but I was much more precocious in the alcohol procurement realm. I can go back to the days of hanging out around the corner from the packy asking passing adults if they would buy for us, probably about 15 years old. The wine at the time was Boone's Farm, and I can get queasy just thinking about it.

ETA: I guess that doesn't quite qualify as buying a bottle of wine myself though; I definitely had help.
    Boonesfarm! Yep, vomit inducing.

First (and last) cruise, age 56. Pathetic waste of money. It was my sister's birthday request. Should have declined like her 40yo son/family did!

I learned to drive a standard transmission Subaru when I was in my late 30s. Felt pretty silly practicing in a giant parking lot but I think it would all come back if needed. Save for a jaunt to Mexico when I was 19, I have never traveled alone so contemplating that as another first in the near future.

Thread Information