Thread: Saturday Night Live......

Saturday Night Live......

There have been periods of time over the past 40+ years that I really liked SNL. But it seems for awhile now that instead of having smart, creative humor, they have turned to a lot of sexual situations. And many times it's just crude. I don't know why they have to do that, other than not being able to think of more creative stuff.

And last week, I thought I'd give it a try again, and the Weekend Update turned into nothing but insults. Pete Davidson is pretty disgusting.

I love Kate McKinnon. And a couple of the others are good, but it's just nothing near what it's been in the past. Pretty much the only reason I watch the beginning is the political humor. But then I turn it off.
    Anyone else feel that they spend too much time on crude sexual humor?

I will say this for them: they provided a chance for Dan Crenshaw to show the country how an officer and gentleman should conduct himself.

The good stuff from snl is talked about and highlighted. That is all we need. And there ARE some good stuff like Melissa McCarthys hilarious spoofs of the .white House press secretary. And etc.

These days I see only clips of SNL skits, and I usually think they are pretty funny (and sometimes brilliant, like Tom Hanks on "Black Jeopardy"). Of course, viewing only those bits that have received exceptional attention separates the wheat from the chaff. But when I hear people complain about SNL now versus in the past, I have to remind them that SNL, like most sketch comedy shows, was always very uneven. This has been true since it premiered in 1975. Go back sometime and watch an entire show from that era and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not saying there aren't any good parts. It seems very dependent on who the host is. I like it when Alec Baldwin is on. (and some others I can't think of right now). The skits are just smarter and don't have to turn to gross sex things for a laugh.

Yes, I loved some of Melissa McCarthy's stuff. But this season seems the worse, as far as the sex stuff.......Like a scene in a classroom might start out funny, but then they are asked to stand up, but one guy can't because he's having an erection. Or the family that kisses each other and everyone else, slobbering all over them. This past week one sketch kept talking about a penis. Really? That's when I turned it off.
    And the music most weeks is awful.....all the same stuff that I can't even understand.

And yes, I was glad they had Crenshaw on for an apology. (And he got a few jabs in at Pete.......like the Ariana Grande ring tone). But it was good that they did this.
    And I know the quality has been up and down through the years. Some years I didn't even watch it at all. This year is just exceptionally bad too often IMHO.

I think that SNL in the past 24 months have been producing some of their best material of all time. And I watched live “the not ready for prime time players”

They have never covered sex before.

It has been a LONG time since I watched it (Pat the androgynous person). Just change the channel or find something else. Comedy is subjective and your not a subject in that kingdom.

I loved these guys and pat was so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post

They have never covered sex before.

It has been a LONG time since I watched it (Pat the androgynous person). Just change the channel or find something else. Comedy is subjective and your not a subject in that kingdom.
    That segment you showed is nothing compared to what's on today. And that was about as bad as it got back then. But it sounds like you haven't watched it and don't really know what's on these days.

Although there were some things on back then that would be considered unacceptable now,although funny then. I.E. Honky.......dead Honky; Mr. Robinson's neighborhood; Garrett Morris giving the news to the deaf; Todd and Lisa, etc.
    It didn't seem to need to be so politically correct back then, and I think a variety of people enjoyed it.

But this gross sexual stuff I think has become a substitute for creativity and real humor....and just plain clean silliness.

Thread Information